Virginia governor Northam (D) is toast

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Have to admit, the Governor is a moron for trying to walk back his apology with a denial.

But examine that brief moment in time. It appeared that NO ONE was accepting the honest response.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Most people I knew thought Hillary's comments and actions were offensive at the time (see also Bill's cuts to AFDC). Did you complain back then?

I was in jr high, doubt I had much of an opinion on it to be honest

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I don't think he should resign because of the picture.
The fact that this picture showed up in a yearbook establishes that this sort of thing was culturally accepted in the time period. It was considered normal goofballery.
Things change. People change.

https://www.theonion.com/every-baby-boomer-in-country-urged-to-resign-after-phot-1832332412

Not where I grew up. No one did this shit. Worst you got was dirtbag trailer trash flying bars and stars.

IDK WTF people in the South were doing when even the liberals were racist.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Im sure they did, you might not have known about it though. Being offensive used to be considered humorous. Seems like an odd thing for a medical school yearbook though, but I think a medical school having a yearbook period sounds odd.

If he would have just said I’m sorry, it was a mistake and moved on I can respect that. But instead he backtracked and denies it was him just makes him look weak and like a liar. Nobody’s buying it but now you look much worse than you did before.

He only saving grace for him is oddly enough that his Lt Governor appears to be a rapist s :D

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Time for Justin Fairfax to use the old Kavanaugh card i.e. free pass to avoid accountability.
Besides, the past peccadillos of a "life-long" US Supreme Court justice far outweighs the past peccadillos of a "termed" state governor. Or, of any LT governor.
I HOPE this is the making of a new democratic party.
#1, Nancy Pelosi refusing a dime to fund any wall.
#2, Northam refusing to resign.
#3, Fairfax refusing to resign.

Heck..... democrats new found freedom has only just begun.
Democrats can now grab pussy.
Democrats can now collude with communist.
Democrats can now use the skill of lying.
And democrats can now pretend, THEY CARE.
Its a good day, for democrats. :D

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Besides, the past peccadillos of a "life-long" US Supreme Court justice far outweighs the past peccadillos of a "termed" state governor.

That arguement was used frequently during the Kavanaugh fiasco and it seemed ridiculous. This sexual assault mattered more because his appointment was longer. What? Why? Ms Fairfax accuser your #metoo isn’t quite as important because he’ll only be in power a couple of years. Ok...

FWIW we are once again dealing with an unverifiable he said/she said of things that happened or didn’t happen years ago. #metoo definitely aired out some dirty laundry and I Hope made progress in the collective food for women but I can’t stand the idea of guilty until proven innocent and that one’s life and career can and should be completely destroyed merely by an allegation.

Reactions: Greenman and edblor

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like they're going to impeach Fairfax if he doesn't resign. Either way Northam would be well advised to appoint a non-white woman to the Lt. Gov office.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Im sure they did, you might not have known about it though. Being offensive used to be considered humorous. Seems like an odd thing for a medical school yearbook though, but I think a medical school having a yearbook period sounds odd.

If he would have just said I’m sorry, it was a mistake and moved on I can respect that. But instead he backtracked and denies it was him just makes him look weak and like a liar. Nobody’s buying it but now you look much worse than you did before.

He only saving grace for him is oddly enough that his Lt Governor appears to be a rapist s :D

Nope. Not a thing. No one did this.

There were white kids into rap and street clothes that got shat on, but no one did blackface ever.

If you were trying to be edgy or offensive, you'd get the crowd dressing goth and "satanic" to piss off the Christians, but no blackface.

If you wanted to be thought a racist hayseed, you'd wear cowboy boots, drive a shitty truck, complain about riced out Honda's, but you had enough sense not to wear blackface.

If you were an asshole trying to be offensive to seem funny to other assholes, you had your choices, but none chose blackface.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Looks like they're going to impeach Fairfax if he doesn't resign. Either way Northam would be well advised to appoint a non-white woman to the Lt. Gov office.

Then he can resign right after.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeah, seems like Fairfax is done. He can't escape this one.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Northam should sit tight. He's starting to look like the cleanest politician in VA with just 35 year old blackface jokes.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
real smart of the republicans to find these year books. No way will it backfire on them when people start looking up republicans... oh wait..

5c5c6bce42592.image.jpg

https://pilotonline.com/news/govern...-ace9-ff7814740140.html?__vfz=medium=sharebar

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Starting to see some GOP predictions that the can win back control of the state in the next few elections. They even want to target Sen Warner who is, and remains, very popular.

This seems like insane overconfidince since the state is trending more and more blue. State level scandals usually need to be accompanied by some really hated policies for such a switch to happen. Rs easily survived a lot of real bad shit at the state level in MO and AL recently (exception of the child molester). KS where their candidate was super terrible and Brownback left a trail of policy disaster a mile long was different.

Also it's really unlikely that this news cycle will be dominant by their next elections or that Trump won't do something insanely unpopular again like he does with great regularity.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Seems to me an FBI investigation with everyone involved taking polygraphs would settle this. Do that ensures both claims can be taken seriously. Fairfax is looking like toast. Ooops, not in the racist way.

However if Kavanaugh is precedent, he remains in office.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm confused, is Northam's current position neither the Klansman or the blackface guy are him??

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Seems to me an FBI investigation with everyone involved taking polygraphs would settle this. Do that ensures both claims can be taken seriously. Fairfax is looking like toast. Ooops, not in the racist way.

However if Kavanaugh is precedent, he remains in office.
Polygraphs are inaccurate, they can be beaten. If they were demonstrably foolproof they would be used in every court across the nation.
His guilt or innocence will always be decided by the politics of the people discussing him.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
But there is a constitutional right to due process.

Due process does not apply to politics. If he is charged criminally or sued civilly by those accusing him then and only then does the right to due process apply. Until either of things occur we are only discussing a political matter.