Virginia governor Northam (D) is toast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What kind of poor little rich boy has a new corvette convertible in high school?
In fairness, late C3/early C4 Corvettes were crap.

Edit: I looked closer at the pic and that's an early C3, between 68-73. My bad. A very nice 'Vette, but not 'new' in '84.

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Feels like Franken 2.0. Did something really stupid and terrible a long time ago. Doesn't have much of a history or even remotely modern pattern those views or decision making. But he has to go.

Meanwhile Steve King, Trump and a pile of others (Go back to Puerto Rico!) still remain in office for continuing to flex their ignorance, arrogance and bigotry.

Reactions: Perknose
Jan 25, 2011
Feels like Franken 2.0. Did something really stupid and terrible a long time ago. Doesn't have much of a history or even remotely modern pattern those views or decision making. But he has to go.

Meanwhile Steve King, Trump and a pile of others (Go back to Puerto Rico!) still remain in office for continuing to flex their ignorance, arrogance and bigotry.
But do you win people over by being the same as those you oppose or being better than them? Where’s the choice if you condemn them while accepting it in your own?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
But do you win people over by being the same as those you oppose or being better than them? Where’s the choice if you condemn them while accepting it in your own?

It's interesting because earlier this week my wife and I had a conversation about the "bully" culture and how they are dealing with it in public schools. The anti-bullies are now almost the bullies.

I think we all need to step back and open our eyes and take a long fucking look at the person, their actions and their words. People can make mistakes. It's the pattern, lack of remorse and ongoing disregard that really needs to be focused on.

I in no way support that picture, no should anyone. But if you can show me a history or pattern that supports that is who he is as a person I'm open for opinion.

Again, contrast this to other public figures that have an ongoing pattern and history of being shitty human beings. And being given continuous passes.

I just don't think the whistleblowing "somebody did something stupid once" is healthy for any of us.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Reportedly Northam will resign tomorrow.

Justin Fairfax will make a fine governor.

Reactions: lsd

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Wow. He was totally Frankened, but I don't see how he could get away with this. There's still a certain kind of Democrat you can find in the South...the kind who had all the trappings of a white privileged Southern upbringing before changing their tune on racial inequality.

I am curious to know who is gunning for him...I.e. why is this coming out now? If this was GOP leaking this shit, I'm inclined to think they'd only do that during an election cycle. Wouldn't put it past a Democrat to purge one of their own in the off season though.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
In fairness, late C3/early C4 Corvettes were crap.

Edit: I looked closer at the pic and that's an early C3, between 68-73. My bad. A very nice 'Vette, but not 'new' in '84.
My point was he didn't pay for it working at the local market. Daddy big bucks did.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Still, I don't get it.
WHY is everybody facing the music for what they have done or had said in the past, like this governor Northam and Elizabeth Warren, yet all the while Donald Trump runs amuck?
Is Donald "special" ???
Does Donald have an protective invisible shield surrounding him?
Is it some mass hypnosis?
Witch craft?
Satan?
Why does Donald Trump always get away with a free pass?
After all, Donald has done and said much worse than any of those already dethroned.
The list is endless.

I suggest Northam play the Donald Trump card.
DENY EVERYTHING despite any photos or video.
Label it all FAKE NEWS.
Change the subject.
Release a speech telling his state how incredibly great he is.
Invite Vladimir Putin over for a visit.
Governor..... it would be so easy.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Still, I don't get it.
WHY is everybody facing the music for what they have done or had said in the past, like this governor Northam and Elizabeth Warren, yet all the while Donald Trump runs amuck?
Is Donald "special" ???
Witch craft?
Satan?
After all, Donald has done and said much worse than any of those already dethroned.
The list is endless.

Because Democrats aren't Republicans, it's as simple as that really.

Reactions: Bitek

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Still, I don't get it.
Is Donald "special" ???
Witch craft?
Satan?
The list is endless.

I suggest Northam play the Donald Trump card.
DENY EVERYTHING despite any photos or video.
Label it all FAKE NEWS.
Change the subject.
Release a speech telling his state how incredibly great he is.
Invite Vladimir Putin over for a visit.
Governor..... it would be so easy.

It's the standard conservative playbook. Non concervstvies must adhere to morals and values set forth by conservatives, even while conservatives don't bother to follow it

Reactions: Meghan54

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Lol I’m sure this was just a simple mistake.....

DyXy0F-X4AcAeDC.jpg

Reactions: Ichinisan

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
It's not at all surprising to see all the hypocrites in full rationalization mode. What a fucking joke.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It's kind of sad that something most thought was funny 35 years ago comes back to haunt him today.

Do you have evidence that 'most' thought it was funny back then?

Perhaps it depends what population you are considering. I suppose it could be that 'most' of some particular group thought it funny (that is, it might be true of 'white people from that particular school or neighbourhood'). But I don't think anyone I knew back then would have found it funny. Not convinced that 'most' of the entire US population would have.

(Of course, now I think about it, one of our senior royals was dressing-up as a Nazi more recently than that, and appears to have been forgiven by most. But royals aren't elected, we're stuck with them, no matter how dodgy. And I suppose it could be argued that scandal had already been worked through at the time it happened.)

(Personally I think the whole 'dressing in shocking costumes for Halloween' thing is a bad idea. Traditionally I thought you were supposed to dress as witch or a animated skeleton or something supernatural along those lines, if anything. Where did this fad for being randomly shocking (or ultra-sexually-revealing) come from? Seems like it started in the US but has since spread over here.)

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Where did this fad for being randomly shocking (or ultra-sexually-revealing) come from? Seems like it started in the US but has since spread over here.

Have you never been to a frickin Halloween party? The ones I went to were fun as hell and people would dress up like crazy shocking things. KKK, dominatrix, aborted baby, sexy everything, pedo priests, who knows. It was fun. Point is to shock and illicit laughs. Now people are way too uptight and ultra offended like a bunch of damned puritans. Life was more fun back then.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Have you never been to a frickin Halloween party? The ones I went to were fun as hell and people would dress up like crazy shocking things. KKK, dominatrix, aborted baby, sexy everything, pedo priests, who knows. It was fun. Point is to shock and illicit laughs. Now people are way too uptight and ultra offended like a bunch of damned puritans. Life was more fun back then.

That sort of thing ('shocking' costumes) started in the US relatively recently - it's not the traditional Halloween costume. Unfortunately it's spread over here. My conservative sensibilities are offended by all this change. I preferred the traditional ways. Again, it's weird how non-conservative US conservatives are. They lack respect for traditional values.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
The “conservatives” have found the one thing they can support a democrat over. lol.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
That sort of thing ('shocking' costumes) started in the US relatively recently - it's not the traditional Halloween costume. Unfortunately it's spread over here. My conservative sensibilities are offended by all this change. I preferred the traditional ways. Again, it's weird how non-conservative US conservatives are. They lack respect for traditional values.

I don’t think so, I remember shocking costumes basically as long as I’ve been alive. I remember dressing as Lorena Bobbit for Halloween one year in jr high which I can’t believe my parents allowed. :D

Reactions: ch33zw1z

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don’t think so, I remember shocking costumes basically as long as I’ve been alive. I remember dressing as Lorena Bobbit for Halloween one year in jr high which I can’t believe my parents allowed. :D

Unless you are actually a vampire (in which case you wouldn't need a costume) I doubt you've been alive long enough for that argument to be conclusive.