Virginia governor Northam (D) is toast

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Uglycassanova wants us to know that because we support Clinton who said something bad 25 years ago and apologized we are just as racist as he is for currently supporting an unrepentant racist who continues to act on his racism today.

UC just own the racism, it’s one of his primary appeals to conservatives and you know it. How did he jump to the front of the Republican primary field? Unrepentant racism. It’s a feature!

Ask all of the black men who spent years and years behind bars if she just "said somehing bad".

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Bruh you said Trump was the most openly racist president in the past half century. I countered that Bill & Hillary (let’s be honest they come as a set) demonized urban blacks and their policies put far far more blacks in jail than anything Trump has done and we’re about to put them in office again. You can counter with don’t look at me but yalls shit sure does stink too.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Dadgum man, just came across this.

Kimmel

9524500-6679399-image-a-8_1549559818383.jpg

Fallon

9524510-6679399-image-a-9_1549559821264.jpg

Crystal

9524508-6679399-image-m-14_1549559953496.jpg

Danson

9524498-6679399-image-a-31_1549560134925.jpg

Wilder

9524502-6679399-image-a-38_1549560241211.jpg

Downey

9524526-6679399-image-m-39_1549560295319.jpg

Geeze. I bet people still go see the next Avengers movie though.
Tropic Thunder (Downey) acknowledges the offensiveness of blackface. "That's the joke."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Bruh you said Trump was the most openly racist president in the past half century. I countered that Bill & Hillary (let’s be honest they come as a set) demonized urban blacks and their policies put far far more blacks in jail than anything Trump has done and we’re about to put them in office again. You can counter with don’t look at me but yalls shit sure does stink too.

No, let’s not be ‘honest’ and hold Clinton responsible for her husband’s policies. Actual black people seem to think she’s far better for them than Trump.

I also shudder to think what Trump would have done if given the opportunity in the 90’s considering he was taking out full page ads calling for the execution of innocent black teenagers.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don’t even know why you’re bothering with this nonsense as you’re never going to win. By every imaginable measure Trump is light years worse than even the worst things Clinton has done. And hers were decades ago while Trump ran on the platform that he was a huge racist!

And of all things - you chose to vote for the guy you knew was a giant racist! Don’t be surprised when people think you’re a racist when you voice your support for a guy like that. You made a choice and that choice has consequences.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Tropic Thunder (Downey) acknowledges the offensiveness of blackface. "That's the joke."

That just confused people, as I remember it. Commenting on blackface, while simultaneously engaging in it. Meta-blackface. And the Ted Danson one created quite a furor at the time, IIRC. Wasn't it Whoopie Goldberg who put him up to it? What with that and her Polanski comments, she's a bit...odd.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
That just confused people, as I remember it. Commenting on blackface, while simultaneously engaging in it. Meta-blackface. And the Ted Danson one created quite a furor at the time, IIRC. Wasn't it Whoopie Goldberg who put him up to it? What with that and her Polanski comments, she's a bit...odd.
Because the true offense is when a black actor is actually denied the opportunity to play a black character and the character is played by a white person with face painted black. If the character was written as "white method actor, trying to be black, doesn't understand blackface," then the character was actually written to be played by a white man. They understood the technicality of it. Films depict racism and racist things all the time anyway. I don't think Kung Fury promotes Nazi ideals.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Because the true offense is when a black actor is actually denied the opportunity to play a black character and the character is played by a white person with face painted black. If the character was written as "white method actor, trying to be black, doesn't understand blackface," then the character was actually written to be played by a white man. They understood the technicality of it. Films depict racism and racist things all the time anyway. I don't think Kung Fury promotes Nazi ideals.

You are probably partially correct. That's definitely part of the problem with blackface - but it clearly isn't the entirety of it. It's also just about mockery.

I really don't know how that one was received generally - it seems to me like the most awkward example ever, because it was so self-referential and self-conscious and was a joke about blackface as much as an example of it. But I would bet opinion was divided among black people - I suspect many wouldn't have been inclined to consider the subtleties of it, because it's just offends too strongly and touches on too many painful topics. While others might be more inclined to acknowledge the 'joke'.

The other examples were just plain embarrassing.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
times, they are a-changin'. boo hoo, black face is finally not ok for anyone in any context. hold on while i find my tiny violin.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Most people I knew thought Hillary's comments and actions were offensive at the time (see also Bill's cuts to AFDC). Did you complain back then? As I remember it all the Clintons' worst actions were opposed by the left and supported by the Republicans. So I don't see that a conservative is in a good position to _now_ decide he doesn't approve of those things.

It's ironic. In that, I've grudgingly forgiven Hillary, because we have bigger problems now, she's possibly changed by now, and I'm not as left as I used to be (not at all sure about much any more). Yet apparently you've now tacked round to outflank me and attack her from the left!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
times, they are a-changin'. boo hoo, black face is finally not ok for anyone in any context. hold on while i find my tiny violin.
It’s over there next to your time machine.

I don’t think anyone is defending black face. But a picture of someone doing it in a yearbook means that none of the people involved in the editing of that yearbook, and all of the people who received and saw the picture at the time of its release...no one flagged it. Doesn’t make it right, but that the yearbook even exists means it was tolerated by a lot of people at the time.

Out of curiosity, I went back and looked at my high school yearbook. Yeah, there is some stuff in there that would not fly today.

The appropriate response is an apology and a strong statement explaining why.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

jesus fucking christ

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

They walked out on stage together at the Emmys or Academy Awards or something; this is when they were both married. It was supposed to be a bit, in response I think to whatever press they were getting in the tabloids about being a mixed-race marriage? People went bonkers.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I don't recall either Clinton's calling for the murder of innocent black teens, like your boy Trump