Vioxx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
China = Executes business people who harm their citizens to make a quick buck.
USA = Look the other way, free market.

Nothing new here, move along.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Wow, that's crazy. Potentially more american deaths from this drug than from world war 2. Crazy....

I thought the paragraph at the end was some particularly dark humor.....not that it was incorrect....

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Wow, that's crazy. Potentially more american deaths from this drug than from world war 2. Crazy....

I thought the paragraph at the end was some particularly dark humor.....not that it was incorrect....

What's crazy is that there's no evidence that vioxx was responsible for the incredible number of deaths that someone who has no idea about medication or health care speculates while totally unencumbered by data claims. Vioxx definitely had problems, but that this fellow discovered it by no scientific means whatsoever? Pull the other one.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Oh, there were a million anally probed by UFOs as well, but no one noticed that either.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
What's crazy is that there's no evidence that vioxx was responsible for the incredible number of deaths that someone who has no idea about medication or health care speculates while totally unencumbered by data claims. Vioxx definitely had problems, but that this fellow discovered it by no scientific means whatsoever? Pull the other one.

That didn't take long now did it. I'm sure I can find a bottle of Vioxx somewhere... would you like to take it for a few years?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
That didn't take long now did it. I'm sure I can find a bottle of Vioxx somewhere... would you like to take it for a few years?

I'm sure I can faster than you. Do you have any evidence of his half million death claims or would you like to take some Tylenol?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

he is right. there is no proof.

I do think vioxx was shit and killed more then the few that are claimed. but the article has no proof at all.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I have no problem with drug companies being up front about risks and rewards. But Merck hid problems and side effects with this drug which did kill people. Is it 500,000? Probably not. That's the problem with drugs... you can't usually tell what caused the death, the drug or something else.

I personally take a dug that has a 1 in 250 chance of fucking up my life horribly... but I am aware of it and I choose that risk. People who took this drug took it without that knowledge because Merck hid facts about it. BIG difference.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I have no problem with drug companies being up front about risks and rewards. But Merck hid problems and side effects with this drug which did kill people. Is it 500,000? Probably not. That's the problem with drugs... you can't usually tell what caused the death, the drug or something else.

I personally take a dug that has a 1 in 250 chance of fucking up my life horribly... but I am aware of it and I choose that risk. People who took this drug took it without that knowledge because Merck hid facts about it. BIG difference.

Of course Merck hid things, but there was an analysis of what happened and you can believe that the lawyers would not miss an opportunity to exploit any legitimate (and perhaps not so legit) data which would support such a high claim, or anything substantially higher than what has been determined. Does that let Merck off? Hell no. I never said that. I accept Merck as having done a despicable act for which they should be held accountable. It's not that people died of side effects per se because everything has the potential for harm. In medicine it's the concept of risk vs. benefit, but when there is deliberate obfuscation to prevent a rational analysis, then that's criminal.

A good part of what I do requires an intimate knowledge of the potential downsides of medication. With that background I see the claim is somewhat akin to saying that Obama doesn't like Arizona, that people have died there while he is in office and therefor he's responsible for x thousands of deaths. People would laugh at me and should if I made that claim, but because the topic is something not generally understood in depth (most certainly by Unz and the writer of the article) it's harder to see.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Of course Merck hid things, but there was an analysis of what happened and you can believe that the lawyers would not miss an opportunity to exploit any legitimate (and perhaps not so legit) data which would support such a high claim, or anything substantially higher than what has been determined. Does that let Merck off? Hell no. I never said that. I accept Merck as having done a despicable act for which they should be held accountable. It's not that people died of side effects per se because everything has the potential for harm. In medicine it's the concept of risk vs. benefit, but when there is deliberate obfuscation to prevent a rational analysis, then that's criminal.

A good part of what I do requires an intimate knowledge of the potential downsides of medication. With that background I see the claim is somewhat akin to saying that Obama doesn't like Arizona, that people have died there while he is in office and therefor he's responsible for x thousands of deaths. People would laugh at me and should if I made that claim, but because the topic is something not generally understood in depth (most certainly by Unz and the writer of the article) it's harder to see.

Point taken. I still find it insane that not a single person ends up in jail for this kind of behavior. It is why this type of behavior continues... why not? The CEO still made millions and millions.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Point taken. I still find it insane that not a single person ends up in jail for this kind of behavior. It is why this type of behavior continues... why not? The CEO still made millions and millions.

I agree. Whoever sanctioned this coverup ought to be doing time.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Maybe the death rate was so high in 2004 from people who could not bear to live through a second Bush term. Hence a great dropoff in the death rate the next year.

The article provides no evidence, no proof of his claim.

Maybe there is more to it that the article is not stating, I don't know.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Of all the Cox-2 selective inhibitors, Vioxx was supposedly actually the best.
They just fucked up by trying to cover up data and then trying to cover up the cover up. Like morons.

Celebrex has the same risk of heart related death. Still on the market.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
That 500,000 figure is sensationalistic trash.

Merck certainly engaged in some bad behavior but a lot of the Vioxx death claims were BS. I remember one of the early Vioxx lawsuits was about a 300 lb diabetic who died of a heart attack but his wife claimed it was because of Vioxx :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.