videos for android phone newbies? (ok, actually 80 year old set in her ways)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
My Mom isn't a newbie, but I guess in some ways she is. She had been using the same roughly 6 year old phone for years. Recently, the battery started bulging, and it became unusable. I gave her an unlocked Moto G Power (2020 model) that I had only turned on maybe 2 dozen times in the year that I used it as an emergency phone.

Evidently, Mom has been complaining to everyone that she finds it really hard to understand. I've explained that it will get easier with time and repetition of use, but she keeps complaining to my relatives. I've told her that things change when you jump forward 4 or 5 versions of Android, and go to a different manufacturer.

I was wondering, can anyone point me to a bunch of VERY basic short videos that could be really helpful for her, using Android and the phone? Just simple things like adding a contact, personalizing settings, etc., would probably be very helpful to her.

Thanks!

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I feel her pain. I had a relative buy an apple phone and for the life of me I couldn't use the darn thing. I had to watch a video so I could navigate the menus.

My mother is struggling with tech. I put all her apps on the home page but even one of them got uninstalled last week. The other day the phone wouldn't make a call and restarting the phone fixed the issue. She also has accidentally turned off the wifi and mobile data using up all her monthly high speed internet. She breaks the thing and then says she hates the phone and it's a piece of junk. I really wish these things could be locked down to "child proof" the phone.

I don't use facebook but the last couple of times I've looked at the phone's recent apps it was loaded with a ton of facebook entries. I suspect this was why she couldn't use the phone.

I didn't watch this video but it may be what you're looking for. It's for the 2021 model though.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Thank you for the 'beginners' video link! I did replace the battery on the LG G5, and it works ok again. I offered to let her have that back, but evidently she is getting used to the Moto G Power, and because the battery lasts twice as long or more, evidently she has decided to keep it!

Reactions: balloonshark

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Whatever you do, do NOT buy her a Revvl 6. That phone model is an absolute disaster.