Question [Videocardz] RDNA 2 Refresh Details

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

6950 XT $1099, 6750 XT $549, 6650 XT $399

No additional core counts it looks but you do get faster memory and higher official boost albeit also higher TBP.

Says release date is Tuesday and that is when you will see reviews.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'll be happy with a cheap second hand 6700XT on up. If these keep putting downward pressure on the second hand market and pre-refresh new parts, I'm happy with them.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
LOL at the increases in price of a refresh at the end of a generation. The only reason anyone would buy any of these is if the older stuff isn't available. I can't imagine these will exactly fly off the shelves.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ranulf

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
LOL at the increases in price of a refresh at the end of a generation. The only reason anyone would buy any of these is if the older stuff isn't available. I can't imagine these will exactly fly off the shelves.

If they sell for MSRP, they will 100% sell well. RDNA3 is still a ways off.

The weird thing though is that the 6750 is now super close to the 6800 in price.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Avalon

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

The weird thing though is that the 6750 is now super close to the 6800 in price.

Because gamers have no alternative? People want 6800XT, 3080s, and 3070s but they can't buy them at msrp. So if these AMD parts sell, it's only because there is no decent alternative. At this stage in the game, the market would usually have every card in stock and at constant discounted prices with game bundles and deals and all sorts of stuff. None of that is happening. Instead, prices are still inflated, the cards people want aren't in stock, and they have no choice but to buy an overpriced refresh. That sucks. That's garbage.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- I think the 6750 is supposed to replace the 6800.

I mean, N7 was yielding pretty good to begin with, and cards are selling for damn near whatever anyone asks for them. Why would AMD deliberately cripple a potentially $1000 N21 die to sell it for $500 when a historically $350 N22 die can fill the niche?

At 1080p the 6800 was ~12% faster and at 1440p it was ~17% faster than the 6700XT. If N22 is heavily memory bandwidth constrained, a ~15% performance uplift of the 6750 with the additional bandwidth and clockspeed will fill that gap pretty nicely.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Saylick

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
AMD's reviewers guide says they are saying that the 6750 XT is 7% faster than the 6700 XT.

• Haha
Reactions: Avalon

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
- I think the 6750 is supposed to replace the 6800.

I mean, N7 was yielding pretty good to begin with, and cards are selling for damn near whatever anyone asks for them. Why would AMD deliberately cripple a potentially $1000 N21 die to sell it for $500 when a historically $350 N22 die can fill the niche?

At 1080p the 6800 was ~12% faster and at 1440p it was ~17% faster than the 6700XT. If N22 is heavily memory bandwidth constrained, a ~15% performance uplift of the 6750 with the additional bandwidth and clockspeed will fill that gap pretty nicely.

Uplift should be highly game dependent. RDNA2 can get bandwidth constrained on high res deferred games, which there are lot of (any UE4 titles, many others) but there's still a good amount of forward shaded titles, or even a few visibility buffer titles like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and I'm not sure how much it'll work in UE5 as that's an oddball Vis/Deferred thing.

But some games will see a nice uplift Edit- looking at the world's only 6900LC review and adjusting because the clockspeeds for the 6950 are lower... about a 3-8% uplift depending on title. Even better, now the older cards should be pushed down to be cheaper as well. The poor, GPU starved proletariat shall benefit either way! :smiley:

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think RDNA3 is that far off. AMD has done similar releases with Zen where a few months before the next version launches they release an XT model which is essentially just a better bin with higher clocks.

AMD likely wants a sales bump from new models to clear out the inventory of RDNA3. Navi 33 is rumored to launch first and basically replaces the upper end of AMD's product stack.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks again cryptobros! PC gaming is for suckers after what the 2018 and 2020-21 crypto booms showed AMD and Nvidia what kind of ridiculous prices gamers would pay.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
AMD's reviewers guide says they are saying that the 6750 XT is 7% faster than the 6700 XT.

Grain of salt and all that but maybe that's why AMD is pushing for a price hike: if the 3090 can sustain a street price of $1500-$1700 (or more) then why not bump prices on a product that can allegedly beat a 3090 by 11%? The unsung hero here is the 6900XT whose price is declining rapidly. I'm already seeing used 6900XTs going for sub-MSRP which is a major reversal.

If there is anything that foils AMD's plans, it's the decline in value of used 6900XTs.

Thanks again cryptobros! PC gaming is for suckers

Still can't figure out why the most vocal critics don't just mine with their cards to make some money back.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Shmee

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Still can't figure out why the most vocal critics don't just mine with their cards to make some money back.

1. I don't want to be mining on my PC constantly since I use it for work from home and for leisure
  2. I'd make like $1.50 a day with a 3080
  3. I'd be dumping an extra 300W of heat into my house with that gpu running balls to the wall
  4. I live in Texas and it's hot as hell
  5. That $1.50 a day doesn't factor in my increased electric costs from having to run the AC harder to make up for the added heat
  6. My gaming PC is in my bedroom and the last thing I want to do is be running a 300W heater in my room when I'm sleeping at night with how hot and humid Texas is in the summer (and it's already full blown summer here)
  7. I hate crypto, it's the most ruthlessly capitalist idea imaginable, where you waste power and trash the environment to make the most useless speculation device to loot real money from whatever sucker ends up holding the bag last.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
  1. I don't want to be mining on my PC constantly since I use it for work from home and for leisure
  2. I'd make like $1.50 a day with a 3080
  3. I'd be dumping an extra 300W of heat into my house with that gpu running balls to the wall
  4. I live in Texas and it's hot as hell
  5. That $1.50 a day doesn't factor in my increased electric costs from having to run the AC harder to make up for the added heat
  6. My gaming PC is in my bedroom and the last thing I want to do is be running a 300W heater in my room when I'm sleeping at night with how hot and humid Texas is in the summer (and it's already full blown summer here)
  7. I hate crypto, it's the most ruthlessly capitalist idea imaginable, where you waste power and trash the environment to make the most useless speculation device to loot real money from whatever sucker ends up holding the bag last.

So basically, you can't figure out how to undervolt your GPU and you just hate on people. Got it.

Heck I don't even mine anymore, haven't since 2017. But then I paid MSRP for my video card before the mining boom that is ending now so I never felt any need to. Regardless if you find yourself having to pay extra for video cards because miners are snapping them up, once you do get one, you can recoup part of your investment and bring your expense total in line with what you should be paying were it not for scalpers. If you choose not to do so, don't complain. You had more options than people that couldn't even get a card.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So basically, you can't figure out how to undervolt your GPU and you just hate on people. Got it.

Heck I don't even mine anymore, haven't since 2017. But then I paid MSRP for my video card before the mining boom that is ending now so I never felt any need to. Regardless if you find yourself having to pay extra for video cards because miners are snapping them up, once you do get one, you can recoup part of your investment and bring your expense total in line with what you should be paying were it not for scalpers. If you choose not to do so, don't complain. You had more options than people that couldn't even get a card.

So overpay for a video card to do something I hate for months that will heat the hell out of my house in the middle of summer and will make me a trivial amount of money while putting extra stress on my psu. Great advice. You cryptobros get so offended when people don't buy into the scam. LOL cryptobros blaming scalpers when crypto booms always jacks up the price of gpus.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So overpay for a video card to do something I hate for months

Yes. At least this way you get a card. Or you can gripe.

Also 300W, or less (learn to undervolt!) is not going to "heat your house". 200-300W to mine with a single video card is practically nothing. No real heat load, no significant burden on your HVAC, and no environmental devastation. We used to burn more than that just in light bulbs. Nobody paid us to do it.

Fact remains that those options are coming to an end. You can't really score $1.50 per day or more with a 6900XT, and you probably won't be able to do it with a 6950XT either. So prices are coming down, somewhat. MSRPs have still been forced upwards, and will stay that way until someone offers more competition. Who will you blame once the mining is mostly over, hmm? Or will you just clam up because you're okay with AMD jacking up prices, but not outside market forces?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yes. At least this way you get a card. Or you can gripe.

Also 300W, or less (learn to undervolt!) is not going to "heat your house". 200-300W to mine with a single video card is practically nothing. No real heat load, no significant burden on your HVAC, and no environmental devastation. We used to burn more than that just in light bulbs. Nobody paid us to do it.

Fact remains that those options are coming to an end. You can't really score $1.50 per day or more with a 6900XT, and you probably won't be able to do it with a 6950XT either. So prices are coming down, somewhat. MSRPs have still been forced upwards, and will stay that way until someone offers more competition. Who will you blame once the mining is mostly over, hmm? Or will you just clam up because you're okay with AMD jacking up prices, but not outside market forces?

Yeah stick three people in your bedroom and tell me it doesn't heat it. What a load. My PS5 only consumes 200W in gaming and I can feel it heating the room when I run it, now let's add another half of a PS5 and run it all night for fun.

And yes I blame mining. Cryptoming lifted MSRP for gpus after the 2018 boom and has done it again now with AMD pricing their refreshes higher than the originals. How far is your head up your whatever for you to not see crypto booms raise prices?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Another GPU thread hijacked by crypto. Makes me wonder if the developers behind Ethereum were somehow PAID by AMD or Nvidia or both to jack up demand for GPUs. The whole situation just seems ripe for a conspiracy theory. It ain't over yet. Something else will rise up to take Ethereum's place. The world is not going to escape global warming and eventual ecological destruction. Not this easily. PoS be damned.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yeah stick three people in your bedroom and tell me it doesn't heat it.

At this point it's just physics, but again, a 200-300W heat load is not going to change your temp by much. For reference, an old 24" CRT is about 160W . . .

Another GPU thread hijacked by crypto.

Hey, I tried, but

*shrug*

People's irrational hatred of things bleeds into all other related topics, and sometimes it's impossible to talk people down.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
AMD likely wants a sales bump from new models to clear out the inventory of RDNA3.

I rather think the increase msrp now, a bit, and then again with RDNA 3 release. with 2 smaller hikes people will be less pissed.

1. I hate crypto, it's the most ruthlessly capitalist idea imaginable, where you waste power and trash the environment to make the most useless speculation device to loot real money from whatever sucker ends up holding the bag last.

I hate gaming. It's the most decadent think in our society where you waste power and trash the environment just to get an escape from your sad little life.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I rather think the increase msrp now, a bit, and then again with RDNA 3 release. with 2 smaller hikes people will be less pissed.

I hate gaming. It's the most decadent think in our society where you waste power and trash the environment just to get an escape from your sad little life.

Srlsy though, Crypto is just a waste. At least entertainment provides joy.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Back on topic...

Yeah the 6900XT and 6800XT provide pretty good value, and I understand that RDNA2 OCs well. It would be interesting to see what the 6950XT is like, do we have many details yet?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
OK this is funny. Apparently AMD lowered the MSRP between the initial press briefing and launch. The 6950 XT was meant to be $1299 it looks.