Question [Videocardz] RDNA 2 Refresh Details

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

6950 XT $1099, 6750 XT $549, 6650 XT $399

No additional core counts it looks but you do get faster memory and higher official boost albeit also higher TBP.

Says release date is Tuesday and that is when you will see reviews.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yea sure every company wants to sell at the highest price they can , but personally I believe they should be very happy selling a smaller die NAVI21 (520mm2) at $1100 against the competition (GA102 628mm2).

We have no idea what nVidia is paying for SS8 but it's safe to say that nVidia is paying a lot less. Even accounting for the bigger die and crappier yield.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
TSMC is expensive.

Well without having hard data from both AMD and NVIDIA I cannot commend on that. But using "TSMC is expensive" as an argument, personally it doesnt say much about actual cost of NAVI21 and GA102. Wafer price its only one of many things that can have an impact in to chip final cost price.

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
That tweeter seems to be confused. It's an RX 6700.
In the videocardz article there's a picture, if iright, that's 6700 without rx, all other models have it as prefix on a box.
What would the MSRP be? $450?
Maybe later rx6700xt will disappear from the shelves with such close price
edit: now that I think about it, maybe 6700 is a temporary thing for clearing out defective dies, like 2060 KO that used super defective TU104

Last edited:

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
and here it is

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
As good a time as any to offload any and every die possible for even marginally inflated prices before the apparently inevitable market slump and next generation we're heading into renders them all unsellable.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
We have no idea what nVidia is paying for SS8 but it's safe to say that nVidia is paying a lot less. Even accounting for the bigger die and crappier yield.

While it did sound like nVidia got a good deal at Samsung, fewer dies can be produced off a single wafer with their much larger chip. Their deal would have to be significantly cheaper to offset the number of dies per wafer.

And while TSMC is more costly than Samsung, AMD is TSMC's number one largest 7nm customer, and as such, they get preferential pricing based on the sheer volume of wafers they purchase.

Reactions: Tlh97

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
While it did sound like nVidia got a good deal at Samsung, fewer dies can be produced off a single wafer with their much larger chip. Their deal would have to be significantly cheaper to offset the number of dies per wafer.

That's what I mean. It is. This advantage goes away with the next gen, but it also means Ada will be a lot better too compared to if they had stuck with some Samsung node.

And while TSMC is more costly than Samsung, AMD is TSMC's number one largest 7nm customer, and as such, they get preferential pricing based on the sheer volume of wafers they purchase.

I doubt it. The only company which might get any preferential treatment is Apple. Most of AMD's wafers are the consoles, which might be considered AMD's in name only.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I doubt it. The only company which might get any preferential treatment is Apple. Most of AMD's wafers are the consoles, which might be considered AMD's in name only.

There is no "in name only". AMD is the owner of the chips. Selling chips to the console makers is no different than selling them to AIBs.

And TSMC has clearly stated that AMD gets first pick when wafers become available, and AMD has stated that they have gotten better negotiated prices because of the volume that they purchase.

Reactions: Tlh97