News [VideoCardz] Intel 10th Gen Core-X Series (Cascade Lake X) final specs and pricing leaked

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
Intel Cascade Lake
Intel Cascade Lake-X launches October 7th
Next week Intel is launching its high-end desktop 10th Gen Core-X series. The processors codenamed Cascade Lake-X will utilize Skylake architecture manufactured in the 14nm process technology.

Much cheaper, but not cheap

The most important news is that the Intel Core-X series will much cheaper than the previous generation. The cost of a single-core will drop to AMD’s level and therefore it will be comparable to Threadripper 2000. The price per single core will drop to 54-59 USD depending on the SKU, while the last generation was starting at 99.

Faster memory, more memory

The 10th generation supports quad-channel DDR4-2933 memory, the same as Threadripper 2000. The capacity, however, increased to 256GB, which is twice as much as both SKL-X and TR2000.

Clocks

This is not the time and place to discuss the differences between each clock type, but let us just give you a list of what customers need to go through before opening their wallets: base clocks, boost blocks, turbo clocks, single-core clocks, all-core clocks, AMD’s Max Boost, Intel Turbo Boost 2.0, Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 and Intel Velocity Boost. And guess what, Intel is adding yet another clock called Deep Learning Boost. Why? We don’t know and this point we don’t what to know. The clock advertised by Intel on a highlight slide is the Turbo Boost Max 3.0, which goes up to 4.8 GHz.

Other stuff

The new series also support Intel Performance Maximizer, 2.5G Intel i225 Ethernet and Wi-Fi 6. The whole 10th Gen Core platform will support up to PCIe 72 lanes. Intel’s Cascade Lake X will launch on October 7th. The new CPUs will be available for sale in November.

core-x.png

*other comments*

Deep Learning Boost is marketing name for AVX-512 workloads
X299X probably means a new motherboard is needed for the higher SKU's, maybe they forgot a zero somewhere on that 165W TDP rating
Low All Core Turbo for the Core i9-10900XE ? (only X299 supported cpu?)
TR3 will all but certain demolish these new Skylake-X cpus

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
X299X probably means a new motherboard is needed for the higher SKU's, maybe they forgot a zero somewhere on that 165W TDP rating
Low All Core Turbo for the Core i9-10900XE ? (only X299 supported cpu?)
TR3 will all but certain demolish these new Skylake-X cpus

You only need to add a zero to the TDP when overclocking :p
I expect TR3 will 'demolish' Cascade Lake X in perf/$, not so much on single thread perf.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
You only need to add a zero to the TDP when overclocking :p
I expect TR3 will 'demolish' Cascade Lake X in perf/$, not so much on single thread perf.
I wouldn't be so sure. TR *may* edge out the Cascade Lake in IPC. Cascade Lake uses a mesh memory scheme, like Zen. Not the Ring Bus in their lower core count lines.

Reactions: spursindonesia

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Zen2 is already beating Skylake refreshes in ST performance and in Perfor/$

Anyone care to predict the prices for TR3 from 24 to 68 cores? TR3 will for sure demolish the 10980X in both ST and MT, I guess it will be for around $1,000 ? Or will these new Cascade Lake-X will be the new Performance/$ Kings?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Just a little bit of competition, and suddenly the perf/$ doubled from Intel. The consumer is winning.

That said, I expect TR3000 to also support 256GB of 4C DDR4-3200 JEDEC spec memory. And it would obviously win in the perf/W race (7nm vs 14nm+++)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Zen2 is already beating Skylake refreshes in ST performance and in Perfor/$

Anyone care to predict the prices for TR3 from 24 to 68 cores? TR3 will for sure demolish the 10980X in both ST and MT, I guess it will be for around $1,000 ? Or will these new Cascade Lake-X will be the new Performance/$ Kings?
What's the difference in ST performance, these CPUs will boost to 4.8GHz on a single thread. Hard to imagine Zen2 bests that by anything more than a fraction.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Eh, so intel still wants us to pay 20% premium over roughly equivalent AMD parts? And that's with 50% more power draw? I already switched every single rig in my household to AMD, it's going to take more than that for me to switch back to Intel. I don't think Intel is going to be competitive until they go to 10nm or smaller.

Reactions: lightmanek

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Eh, so intel still wants us to pay 20% premium over roughly equivalent AMD parts? And that's with 50% more power draw? I already switched every single rig in my household to AMD, it's going to take more than that for me to switch back to Intel. I don't think Intel is going to be competitive until they go to 10nm or smaller.
10nm is having massive problems, so we will need to wait for 7nm for a proper Intel response (if they can manage that).

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I'm curious to see the real world performance of these, the price change is impressive, and I think it puts some pressure on AMD, it could be effective if they perform well, also if AMD sticks with their pricing (given the 3900x price I would think AMD didn't have the intention of making the new TR all that cheap)

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014
So the prices are coming down where they used to be pre Broadwell (~1000USD for the top model) which is nice to see. But the new 24c Threadripper will probably crush the 10980XE in well threaded apps and be very competitive in lightly threaded ones. And AMD is already holding itself back because we know a TR of up to 64 cores is theoretically possible (I think we wont see more than 32 cores on TR 3000 unless Intel manages a suprise soon).

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I'm curious to see the real world performance of these, the price change is impressive, and I think it puts some pressure on AMD, it could be effective if they perform well, also if AMD sticks with their pricing (given the 3900x price I would think AMD didn't have the intention of making the new TR all that cheap)
Exactly. I love what AMD are doing, but Intel's price drops are a good sign for the consumer that we have two actual true contenders on the desktop, in HEDT, and in the server room. Ideally, the trickle-down effect of cost-savings (relative to performance) could enable faster performance or lower cost for the same services. But I know corporations aren't going to give anything away for free.

Reactions: lightmanek

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
So the prices are coming down where they used to be pre Broadwell (~1000USD for the top model) which is nice to see. But the new 24c Threadripper will probably crush the 10980XE in well threaded apps and be very competitive in lightly threaded ones. And AMD is already holding itself back because we know a TR of up to 64 cores is theoretically possible (I think we wont see more than 32 cores on TR 3000 unless Intel manages a suprise soon).

There is no suprise from Intel, only thing they can do is fight with lower prices.But keep in mind, Intel has 100 000 employees+12 FAB-s=lots of mouth to feed and very high maintenance costs.

lower CPU prices 50% or more(in all cpu segments), this is big problem for very big company as Intel.

Look at Ryzen 5 3600( in EU 187euro), and what that CPU is doing for AMD vs Intel competition.The question is whether Intel can lower the price of i7 8700K to the level 200-250?

TR 3000 24 cores will be performance king in HEDT CPU market.But it will be priced as CPU performance king, or probably no lower below 1200$.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
There is no suprise from Intel, only thing they can do is fight with lower prices.But keep in mind, Intel has 100 000 employees+12 FAB-s=lots of mouth to feed and very high maintenance costs.

lower CPU prices 50% or more(in all cpu segments), this is big problem for very big company as Intel.

Look at Ryzen 5 3600( in EU 187euro), and what that CPU is doing for AMD vs Intel competition.The question is whether Intel can lower the price of i7 8700K to the level 200-250?

TR 3000 24 cores will be performance king in HEDT CPU market.But it will be priced as CPU performance king, or probably no lower below 1200$.
Alternately, AMD can drop prices across the board, meaning AM4, to price a 24C TR closer or equal to the Intel 18C.

Agree with you on Intel's fixed or 'semi' fixed costs. Going forward, they're going to be a millstone if they can't soon make AMD revert to 2nd class status.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I call that AMD's double edged sword.