Question [Videocardz] AMD possibly raising GPU chip prices by 10%

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Rumor suggests that the increase would be $20-40 and blames the TSMC price hikes.

Feb 4, 2009
Do you guys think Intel entered the GPU market with Xe or something?

You know the fundamental architecture of the Xe GPUs go all the way back to Gen 6 GMA X3000 series in 2006 right? That's when the EU nomenclature started. And arguably GMA X3000 has its ancestry in the i740 as well.

Since I played games on the early Intel GPUs for quite a long time, it's not going to be terrible as people say. I know everyone likes being hyperbolic.

Doom? Why not try that right now? You really don't think it'll run? I've played games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Quake 3 on the Sandy Bridge GPU. The games Xe had issues were newer games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Cyberpunk 2077. I also know they improved the compatibility with those two games as well.

It's not like Intel is starting from scratch. Yes in that case they have a problem. iGPU is a basis no matter how poor it might sound to be.

Pretty much what I meant.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
To little competition and to high demand vs supply -> higher prices. With the current prices it is not like a higher MSRP is going to change the cost of the street price of a videocard.