Question [Videocardz] AMD possibly raising GPU chip prices by 10%

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Rumor suggests that the increase would be $20-40 and blames the TSMC price hikes.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Intel will add 30% more GPUs units on to the marketplace in 2022! Let see what that does to prices!

-There is absolutely no way Intel is manufacturing 30% of the Card inventory that has been sold so far this gen, or even 30% of the card inventory that will be sold after their release.

5% of total or maybe 10-15% after release I could see.

In short, don't pin your hopes on Intel launching a ton of cards, or that those cards will be cheap, or that those cards won't get bought and resold at obscene scalper prices.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
In short, don't pin your hopes on Intel launching a ton of cards, or that those cards will be cheap, or that those cards won't get bought and resold at obscene scalper prices.

Depends on what you call it cheap. $799 for the Premium card and maybe $699 for the Performance card.

Also they are usually pretty good with supply. Although expecting they'll take 30% of the market in the first year is a big stretch. Volume ramp takes time even if there is high consumer demand.

5-10% can be expected if ARC is a success. Maybe 30% in 2023.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Frankly if Intel is able to put out that much supply it should help the overall market. Miner's won't care if gaming performance is subpar as long as it can mine and that helps alleviate some of the demand for AMD and Nvidia cards.

Feb 4, 2009
Shrug, why not. Shouldn't affect supply any, make that money while you can I suppose.

Pretty much this. AMD may as well make the money as opposed to a f-ing ebay seller or crappy website.
I came to say AMD May as well sell them at $1k plus. There is a limit to what the market will pay and to a miner this is purely a profit operation. They will pay until the profit no longer makes sense.
Appears around $1 to 3k is the drop off point.

Reactions: Stuka87

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There is a limit to what the market will pay and to a miner this is purely a profit operation. They will pay until the profit no longer makes sense.
Appears around $1 to 3k is the drop off point.
Smart/experienced miners won't pay "scalper prices", at least not obscene ebay ones. It's mostly the new miners that are FOMO'ing into the hobby that pay the crazy prices, because they:
1) Assume that no matter how much they pay, they can make it back and then some.
2) Crypto will always go up.
3) They assume, that if the bottom drops out of crypto (and it has!), that their investment in gPUs will still be worth something, and they'll be able to "get out" without losing money.

So far, so good. But we'll have to see.

Experienced miners have been through "crypto winter" and a bear market, these newbie miners have not, they thinks it's all sunshine and roses.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Miner's won't care if gaming performance is subpar as long as it can mine and that helps alleviate some of the demand for AMD and Nvidia cards.

Indeed. Best case scenario is intel cards excel at mining so it takes pressure of AMD/NV and we can get a reliable gaming card. I fear if I buy intel, many old games will not work properly.

Feb 4, 2009
Indeed. Best case scenario is intel cards excel at mining so it takes pressure of AMD/NV and we can get a reliable gaming card. I fear if I buy intel, many old games will not work properly.

Purely a guess.
We like to make fun of intel but they are a really smart company with smart people working for them. My guess and this is purely a guess, intel will have some sort of funky virtualization or weird emulation thingy to play older games. You may not get 700 FPS in the original doom but I bet you’ll get good modern day performance out of whatever older title there is.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Purely a guess.
We like to make fun of intel but they are a really smart company with smart people working for them. My guess and this is purely a guess, intel will have some sort of funky virtualization or weird emulation thingy to play older games. You may not get 700 FPS in the original doom but I bet you’ll get good modern day performance out of whatever older title there is.

- Although I can see Intel strong-arming reviewers, this is a really target rich area for some enterprising website to do an in-depth analysis and show general gaming compatibility between Intel/NV/AMD on titles at least from the DX9 era to current (the further back the better).

Might be more surprises than we might expect, the further back we go...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That 6600XT I bought at launch is starting to look like a better and better deal.
That is why most reviewers can get rekt. Most poo poo'd it. Invoked the spurious MSRP/RRP talking points and old Ferengi math for the basis of their opinions and recommendations. They did nothing for me, but demonstrate how out of touch they are with what normal gamers are facing in the real world. Intellectually they know, they read the comments and pay lip service to all of it. After all, their clicks are down because fewer watch or read content about stuff they can't buy or afford.

I get negative content does better, but that is a poor excuse for trashing the 6600XT. Which influenced some not to buy it, when you could actually get one the first day, even here in the states.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Purely a guess.

True but what would you tell your devs. Focus on 10 year old games or ones major sites use for benchmarking? it's obvious. I wasn't even thinking about as far back as Doom but anything like older than say 5 years that nobody uses to benchmark their GPUs anymore.
The amount of games is simply huge and given from that one infamous reply about how each game needs it's specific driver fixes to even run, it will be a huge undertaking from intel to do this retrospectively and probably not worth the cost.

EDIT: Only hope is they can reuse any fixes they already have in their iGPU drivers. But that isn't all that clear as dGPUs seems to have pretty different uArch.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
True but what would you tell your devs. Focus on 10 year old games or ones major sites use for benchmarking? it's obvious. I wasn't even thinking about as far back as Doom but anything like older than say 5 years that nobody uses to benchmark their GPUs anymore.
The amount of games is simply huge and given from that one infamous reply about how each game needs it's specific driver fixes to even run, it will be a huge undertaking from intel to do this retrospectively and probably not worth the cost.

EDIT: Only hope is they can reuse any fixes they already have in their iGPU drivers. But that isn't all that clear as dGPUs seems to have pretty different uArch.
That's not how that works, cards have API standards and so have games, if dx10 or 9 is fully implemented then they will fully work, performance is another thing entirely but any version of dx or gl or whatever they support will work properly.

infamous reply about how each game needs it's specific driver fixes to even run
Elaborate?

Reactions: Insert_Nickname

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
That's not how that works, cards have API standards and so have games, if dx10 or 9 is fully implemented then they will fully work, performance is another thing entirely but any version of dx or gl or whatever they support will work properly.

Indeed. That's the whole point of DirectX, OpenGL and Vulkan.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

Elaborate?

There once was a post here on anandtech couple years ago by someone who was at NV and detail how every single game needs custom fixes in the driver to run properly because developers just can't get it right. While often it's about performance the post also claimed in some cases the game simply won't run without the fix(es).

I have no idea how I can find said post.

EDIT:

It's not this one I mean but says a similar thing just much shorter:

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

Purely a guess.

Do you guys think Intel entered the GPU market with Xe or something?

You know the fundamental architecture of the Xe GPUs go all the way back to Gen 6 GMA X3000 series in 2006 right? That's when the EU nomenclature started. And arguably GMA X3000 has its ancestry in the i740 as well.

Since I played games on the early Intel GPUs for quite a long time, it's not going to be terrible as people say. I know everyone likes being hyperbolic.

Doom? Why not try that right now? You really don't think it'll run? I've played games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Quake 3 on the Sandy Bridge GPU. The games Xe had issues were newer games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Cyberpunk 2077. I also know they improved the compatibility with those two games as well.

It's not like Intel is starting from scratch. Yes in that case they have a problem. iGPU is a basis no matter how poor it might sound to be.