Videocard failure? Vertical bars + system freeze

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Sometimes I'm doing something: Watching a flash video. Playing a game. Moving my mouse. Who knows. This problem didn't occur until I recently formatted. Could be coinkidink, but I'm skeptical.

Anyway, the problem: System freezes. Sometimes sounds will do that broken record type thing. (Repeat small samples fast) The screen will display nothing but vertical rectangular bars that are usually mostly one color. (Red or blue in my case usually) There is a pattern to it though. It's not random scatter. It's typical system crash shit from something video intensive on some part from what I can tell. I've seen this before.

Anyway, system freezes. Nothing fixes it except a hard reboot. Then I'm back to no mans land of waiting for the inevitable. This didn't happen for a while actually. Quite a while. I figured it was self-cured. Then I played CS:GO today. Guess what happened quite quickly after I got my first headshot with a deagle and was ready to gun down some more? System freeze. That's great.

So, I'm annoyed. I don't know what the fuck is causing this. It shouldn't be hardware failure since this problem DIDN'T occur before I formatted. It sounds like software but all my drivers are more than up to date. I've done multiple formats to test this and make sure I really have the shit down correctly. No matter what I do, it still happens. I don't know what the fuck is causing this.

People on the internet seem to experience this but no one has a solution.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
What messages do you get in the event log after a abnormal shutdown?

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Ya I mean, who knows...

Failing hardware or driver issue. Also, just fyi, up to date drivers does not mean stable. In fact, if you updated drivers on your new windows install to versions that differ from the previous install, that could be your issue. I never change drivers when I find stable versions unless I have a problem.

Never ever let windows update drivers...

First thing id do is run some cpu stress test lime prime95 or whatever people use these days to stress the cpu/memory/system out. If that stays stable, then chances are its video card software or hardware related. At least that could help you narrow it down.

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
What messages do you get in the event log after a abnormal shutdown?

No clue. I haven't checked.

Ya I mean, who knows...

Failing hardware or driver issue. Also, just fyi, up to date drivers does not mean stable. In fact, if you updated drivers on your new windows install to versions that differ from the previous install, that could be your issue. I never change drivers when I find stable versions unless I have a problem.

Never ever let windows update drivers...

First thing id do is run some cpu stress test lime prime95 or whatever people use these days to stress the cpu/memory/system out. If that stays stable, then chances are its video card software or hardware related. At least that could help you narrow it down.

I'm aware. It's not the CPU or ram. I did plenty of stress tests. (Ran Memtest86+ for 3+ hours. Ran Orthos and plenty of other shit. No problems.)

If I run furmark on my ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb... it doesn't do this problem. So, it's obviously a semi-random, directx, and/or software problem.

I had the latest drivers before I formatted as well. It had no problems.

Google "video card oven trick"

Troll another forum.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Troll another forum.

Excuse me? Your justification for saying that is what exactly?? I suggested a real fix. My laptop video card was fixed by baking it in the oven. It was dead. Now it lives and PC works perfect.
Also, why haven't you mentioned what card it is??

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Don't see how he's trolling, your symptoms sound exactly like failing solder bumps, baking reflows the solder and sometimes fixes it.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Don't see how he's trolling, your symptoms sound exactly like failing solder bumps, baking reflows the solder and sometimes fixes it.

I'm aware of the solder issue. However, I'm not going to throw my video card into an oven when I do not see any sources citing that my issues are exactly the cause of issue and that throwing my card into the oven is going to be a great fix. I am not doing such irrationally risky behavior.

Besides, I did not have this problem PRE-formatting. To me, that screams software.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm aware of the solder issue. However, I'm not going to throw my video card into an oven when I do not see any sources citing that my issues are exactly the cause of issue and that throwing my card into the oven is going to be a great fix. I am not doing such irrationally risky behavior.

Besides, I did not have this problem PRE-formatting. To me, that screams software.

So what. Still didn't troll you. Stick it in another rig. If it don't work, the only RATIONAL explanation is that you experienced a coincidence (they do happen) and your card is not working right due to a hardware issue. I assume your card is as old as the hills since you refuse to disclose what kind it is, and this gives plenty of RATIONAL reason to suspect a damn good baking in the oven will fix her right up. I'll bake it for you. I'll be your home maker.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
So what. Still didn't troll you. Stick it in another rig. If it don't work, the only RATIONAL explanation is that you experienced a coincidence (they do happen) and your card is not working right due to a hardware issue. I assume your card is as old as the hills since you refuse to disclose what kind it is, and this gives plenty of RATIONAL reason to suspect a damn good baking in the oven will fix her right up. I'll bake it for you. I'll be your home maker.

I already mentioned what it was. It's not that old.