VIDEO: Steam Explosion in new york

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Wow lots of confusion as to the cause of this. I think its from the secret Darpa lab under the city. The steam elemental got loose.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
wow, that is pretty nuts. it looks like the road is going to blow up from the ground.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Looks like a bomb going off or something.

Pretty crazy.

Was that video sped up?

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
My office sits right on top of Grand Central. I wonder if it's going to be closed..

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Jesus. I wonder how many people saw that thinking, "Oh shit, not again."

My building is on 42nd and Lex, 150E 42nd street specifically. I am on the 30th floor and my window is on the NW side of the building. I heard the rumble and thought it was lightning, then I looked down and saw a massive plume of crap shoot up and the whole building shook. We thought the building across the street was going to fall. I got my ass out of there ASAP, went to the elevator, and 3 of my coworkers headed east.

I have bad luck. In the Aug 2003 blackout I was in the elevator in the ESB in between the 82 and 83 floor when the power went out. Talk about an "ohhh sh!t" moment. Walking down that whole sucker was fun, especially with 2 knee surgeries and 3 titanium pins.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

My building is on 42nd and Lex, 150E 42nd street specifically. I am on the 30th floor and my window is on the NW side of the building. I heard the rumble and thought it was lightning, then I looked down and saw a massive plume of crap shoot up and the whole building shook. We thought the building across the street was going to fall. I got my ass out of there ASAP, went to the elevator, and 3 of my coworkers headed east.

I have bad luck. In the Aug 2003 blackout I was in the elevator in the ESB in between the 82 and 83 floor when the power went out. Talk about an "ohhh sh!t" moment. Walking down that whole sucker was fun, especially with 2 knee surgeries and 3 titanium pins.

Elevator? If it were me, I'd stick to the stairs.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Hacp

yeah, lunch tray + stairs ftw

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Report said pipe that blew was installed in the 20's. Pressure build up seems to be the cause; and I've even heard that due to asbestos concerns a 9 block area is being isolated.

mh47g

May 25, 2007
I was watching this on the news when I was in the cafeteria here at work. It really bothered me that the anchor said "just like 911". That statement is wrong in SO many ways.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Hacp

When you're in that situation your first thought is "How do I get out of here the fastest way possible?". 5min to walk down 30 floors of stairs, 30s to take the elevator. I boogied out of there so quickly that I didn't grab my blackberry, bag, umbrella. Luckily I was with some coworkers so I could use their phones. My building is closed.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Thought of terrorism less and less likely with every time something 'else' happens in NYC.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They seem to be moving kinda slow on getting this cleaned up, though I'm sure they want to inspect the nearby gas and electric infrastructure for damage too.