Video Problems - Please Help!

bad1550

Dec 19, 2002
I Installed Pinnacle Studio 8 DV last night to capture my DV camcorder. The install and capture went well until the encoding, then the system shut down! When I try to go back into Pinnacle, the system crashes again! I tried this morning again, and after about 45 minutes, system shut down again! Can there be a problem with my new motherboard? Everything else works great!

My system is a Celeron 2.0, 512 DDR PC 2100, 60 gig 7,200 HD, 16 Meg PCI Voodoo 3 video! XFX P4XEMVB Micro ATX motherboard, 350 watt PSU

Please help!

Thanks,

Bob

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
I dont know much about video editing so, take my advice with a pinch of salt.
Im asuming that you have a extra card in your system to connect the camcorder to.
That means that it`ll be running on a PCI bus, as is your Voodoo3. They might be having IRQ sharing problems, or the Voodoo3 is hogging all of the PCI bus bandwidth. That could cause you problems with the program.

I think, dont quote me, that encoding video puts the CPU under alot of stress, so you might be overheating the processor, if you dont have good enough cooling on it, and good case ventilation.

Also, if i was you, i`d save up for a new video card,
Theres a video card called "Leadtek Winfast A280LE TD MyVIVO GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB DDR TV-Out DVI"
This card will be ideal for you, it supports a comprehensive set of video editing features, as well as multiple types of inputs. Its not too expensive either and comes with a large video editing software/hardware bundle.
Plus will do you fine for a bit of gaming as well.
And it`ll stop the Voodoo3 from hogging the PCI bandwidth. As it`ll be using the AGP slot, that`ll probably be on you motherboard.

Hope this helps

Goose77

Aug 25, 2000
i agree with boomam, but i would like to add/change the recommened vid card to an All-IN-WONDER card from ATI. they have better image quality. Nice clean crisp color and picture. Its leaps and bounds better then any of my Geforce cards.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I doubt its the bandwidth across the PCI Bus, DV capture is fairly low bandwidth (3.5 MB/sec) so no way its saturating the bus, if it were, it certainly wouldn't occur after 45 minutes.

Try a short capture then encode it. Can you edit the capture file without crashing? Can you do any encoding? What format are you encoding to? What OS are you using? Are you maybe reaching the filesize limit in fat 32 perhaps?