video games on a projection TV. why is it bad?

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
according to my PS2 console guide and the manual for most of my games, it's not recommended to play games on projection TVs. what harm can be done to my Sony 53" rear projection TV? i've done it a couple times with my DC and PS2 but since actually reading the warning, i stopped doing so.

Nupraptor

Nov 21, 2001
Your projection television screen may be permanently damaged if video games with stationary scenes or patterns are played on your projection television. Similar damage may occur if you place a video game on hold or pause.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I don't think its an issue with newer projection screen tvs (mid '90's and later), but yah, there was the risk of "burn-in" with video games. Kinda like with arcade games leaving an imprint on the screen over time. I've played console games on lotsa different projection screen tvs and no problems at all.

Chiz

Inglix

Dec 27, 2000
Could a paused tape/dvd affect these older tvs as well? Or did the burn in have to do with the video game consoles higher FPS?

Reactions: travisbell88

Nupraptor

Nov 21, 2001
In theory, I imagine a movie placed on pause for an extended period of time could damage your Projection TV, but I doubt that's likely to occur. There's also other things your game can do to cause this.

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001
I went to LAN party afew weeks back, someone there was using a projector to play CounterStrike/TFC. It looked really cool from a distance but close up things were blurry, colours were faded and the image was not very sharp - made it very difficult on fast paced games and sniping was practically impossible because people were blending into the background.

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
Yes, a tape or Dvd on pause for a long time can burn the image in the screen. Most Dvd players/VCRs have a pause shutoff or a screensaver.
You have to also watch out for the brightly visable Tv Station badges in the corners of the screen, MSNBC has a vivid one and can burn the image
in the screen permently. I know someone who did this while watching the Sept 11 thing for 8 hours on a new Mits projection Tv.

Reactions: travisbell88

gamer1010

Jan 31, 2023
I never had a problem in mine but i guess it depends on the type and age. Maybe the older models has problems with burning an image in the screen.