Video game music fans

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
sweet, thanks! I havent visited that site in a long time.

Wow, 2.3GB collection!

Anyway to financially support these guys? I couldn't find a link... (perhaps I'm blind)

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
As long as we're discussing video game music... how come Sakimoto (or whetever) made the great FFT and Vagrant Story soundtracks and then went on to make the mediocre FF12 soundtrack? Just another reason FF12 sucked. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for FF? Hmmm. I dunno.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard
I dunno. Anybody can hit and miss.

I was just about to post that exactly! Most music composers have good years and bad years.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
FF XII was more difficult to score though, IMO. The pacing of the game didn't really allow for leitmotifs as with the previous FF games. Case in point - does anybody remember any one person's theme? Seems like a soundtrack has more time to shine in those than in regular BG music. The feature pieces were alright (main theme song, Kiss Me Goodbye).

EDIT: No, I'm wrong. Sakimoto definitely had times to use those leitmotifs, but he didn't write anything memorable. Ashe, Balthier, Basch had a bunch of events to themselves but fuck me if I can remember it.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard
FF XII was more difficult to score though, IMO. The pacing of the game didn't really allow for leitmotifs as with the previous FF games. Case in point - does anybody remember any one person's theme? Seems like a soundtrack has more time to shine in those than in regular BG music. The feature pieces were alright (main theme song, Kiss Me Goodbye).

True, my main complaint about that game was the character development was practically nonexistant. At least in the previous games, at least a couple of the characters had some meaningful history or story.

Edit: saw your edit, but I still dont think that the plot had much character development. I dont think even having good character specific music would have salvaged the situation with that game.

Edit 2: Right, at the end, I was still confused with whether or not penalo was supposed to be an important character. Balthier and Fran, at least there was a slight story there, but vaan, penalo, not so much.

If Baltier and Fran were the main characters, perhaps the game would have been more acceptable... speculation at best though...

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
see above

There was some character development - not a lot, but some - but I agree about the histories. The characters were definitely not fleshed out as well as in previous games. e.g. who the hell is Penelo? A shopkeeper's assistant.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Balthier and Fran weren't supposed to be the main characters, in spite of Balthier's comments and his relation to one of the villains (anti-hero?). He was more of a tool for Ashe and to a lesser extent, Basch. Fran seemed to be tacked on except for that one point where you have to cross the wood. Then again, if it wasn't for her people, you wouldn't need her anyway.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
nice song! definitely love ff/video game songs. in fact, 90% of my music is from video games (love them).

ff12 is a good game, in the process of beating it.

as a side note, super smash bros brawl has the most guest composers of any game to date. i absolutely cannot wait to hear their arrangements!