video encoding

Oct 19, 2007
I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my e8400 for one of the new quad cores for video encoding. This is for hd encoding I should say. sd is no prob, but hd gets the proc usage over 75% and the audio gets out of sync. I'm on the fence whether or not it would be worth the money anybody here have experience encoding hd with the quads. Does vp6 only use 1 core? that's what I'm stuck using for now. I do use my rig for gameing as well.
thanks..

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Flimflam
I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my e8400 for one of the new quad cores for video encoding. This is for hd encoding I should say. sd is no prob, but hd gets the proc usage over 75% and the audio gets out of sync. I'm on the fence whether or not it would be worth the money anybody here have experience encoding hd with the quads. Does vp6 only use 1 core? that's what I'm stuck using for now. I do use my rig for gameing as well.
thanks..

As for this Question, I couldn't answer that as I am not to familier with that program, but what I can answer is that utilizing 4 cores as opposed to 2 is better for encoding in general. I use my quads for some video encoding and compaired to my duel core, it's much better. Gaming as of now, you can get away with your current kick-ass chip at hand. So, depends what your buget is, and how long until the next build. Personally I got my quads for long term use and now that I have them I know I don't have to upgrade for quite a while. They are cool.:cool:

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Flimflam
Does vp6 only use 1 core? that's what I'm stuck using for now.

VP6 is a codec, not a software, so whether or not it supports more than one core will depend totally on what software you're using to encode it with.

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
My Q6600 uses all 4 cores at 100% encoding MKV x264 HD. Much faster than a dual core. Generally, it seems to be almost I/O bound at times and the cpu % will drop a little and then bounce back up.

Oct 19, 2007
VP6 is a codec, not a software, so whether or not it supports more than one core will depend totally on what software you're using to encode it with.

hmm it's just what I read on another forum I was'nt sure.