Video editors, someone wants me to do a photo slide show on vhs... whats a good rate?

Esquire

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'll have to scan the photo's....

i'm thinking like 200 - 300

price?

200?

1 dollar a pic?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
It all depends on how much he's willing to spend. :)

Rates are usually flexible by budget. If he can afford $200 or $300 for this, then that should be more than adequate payment.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Welcome to hell. :) Whatever you charge it won't be enough to make you want to do this again.

Lethal

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: LethalWolfe
Welcome to hell. :) Whatever you charge it won't be enough to make you want to do this again.

Lethal

Hehe...just what I was thinking. It was enough work putting together a 30 picture slideshow for my church college group after we took a trip to Six Flags, and all the pics were digital to begin with. 200-300? Ouch. I'm guessing you don't have an automatic feed scanner...maybe you could find one and use that to cut down on the time you're investing in this?

Esquire

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's really heinous huh.....

yeah no auto feeder.

sould i have them pic the tunes... lay it out and all?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I remember I did that in Premiere for my bestfriends wedding, and I scanned in about 50 photos and it took me almost 20 hours of work to get everything in order.... and I have 1.4 athlon with a gig of ram....

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
I remember I did that in Premiere for my bestfriends wedding, and I scanned in about 50 photos and it took me almost 20 hours of work to get everything in order.... and I have 1.4 athlon with a gig of ram....

I don't know what the hell you were doing, but there's no reason it should take 20 hours to do that. :p:)

For 50 pics, it should take no more than 2 or 3 hours to scan them all in. Name them in the sequence they should be in the final video and if you have a program like After Effects, all you have to do is import them, lay them on the comp and then sequence the layers. Once that's done all it has to do is render and you're golden. :)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

I don't know what the hell you were doing, but there's no reason it should take 20 hours to do that. :p:)

For 50 pics, it should take no more than 2 or 3 hours to scan them all in. Name them in the sequence they should be in the final video and if you have a program like After Effects, all you have to do is import them, lay them on the comp and then sequence the layers. Once that's done all it has to do is render and you're golden. :)

Assuming you don't want any music or commentary or interesting transition effects or text labels or anything.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

Assuming you don't want any music or commentary or interesting transition effects or text labels or anything.

Pulse is cheap and lazy, what do you expect from him? ;)

Lethal

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: LethalWolfe
Originally posted by: notfred

Pulse is cheap and lazy, what do you expect from him? ;)

Lethal

Actually, with After Effects that can come pretty easily and quickly. For the money they are talking about, though, I assumed that only inlcuded transferring the pictures to some sort of video medium. Transitions and commentary would raise that price a lot more.

Edit: And you're right about the lazy part. :p