Video Card's Power requirements

sEAnpogi

Sep 30, 2002
Guys! My Video Card is ASUS AGP-V8460 Ultra GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB DDR. I need to know this video card's power requirements how many maximium power(watts or amperes)? I need to know this power requirements because I calculate my system's power consumption first before buying a right watts of power supply to prevent system instability. Please don't recommend me a size of power supply for ex."You need 400w" because it's not sure to my Pc's total power! If I buy immediately but I don't know my total system's power configuration is only 200 watts! It means I spend a lot of electricity bills because of bigger watts of power supply! I read & study the AMD's documentation: "Builders guide for Desktop/Tower" on page 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8. Here's the shortcut to AMD technical documentation:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26003.pdf

This guide how to calculate and measure the system's power configuration to buying the right watts of power supply not just buy a large watts of power supply! it will spend a lot of electricity bills. If my system's power requirements is big! but its ok! so I get the correct calculation of my system's power configuration w/ no doubt. I only need to require is the total power (watts or amperes) of this video card for ex. "Total Power of GeFore 256 is 40 watts". This is not my video card! this is only my example ok! so I can able to calculate my system's power configuration /w no doubt so I can able to build my new PC! Thanks for your assistance guys!

Cheers!

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:eek: Although I understand what you mean there is a little more to it than you might think. Having a power supply too close to your actual req is not a good idea and it's always a very good idea to have a fair bit more than you currently need anyway. I take it you are adding things up on the correct power rails (3.3v 5v and 12v) rather than just adding it all up. Another point is that an unbranded 400W PSU is often far inferior to a quality branded 300W PSU (Antec, Enermax, ToPOwer, SFlower and Sparkle). Many of the unknown PSUs are effectively quoting PMPO rather than RMS if you know speaker-talk.

;) So I'm afraid I don't know the power req of a 4600 but it does take all of its power from the mobo through the AGP slot and it is one of the hungriest cards. The reason nobody seems to know this is because it isn't really of any relevance or importance. So long as you have an AGP2.0+ compliant mobo (almost all are) and have a quality PSU then you will have no problems, you want to have a bit of headroom for future upgrades and long term stability, I don't believe having a 400W PSU consumes any more power than a 300W PSU, it takes and supplies the power as req so if you only need 212.7W then it costs no more to be using a 400W PSU.

sEAnpogi

Sep 30, 2002
Guys! somebody knows my video card's total power so I can buy the right power supply not 400 watts because it's not sure to my system & I waste I lot of electricity bills! I need it now because I can't build my pc w/out this!

ctk1981

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Hmm..just out of curiousity. Where does the extra wattage go in your computer if your not using it all? I always thought your computer draws the watts it needed? Kinda like a circuit breaker thinking.....on a 20 Amp you may have 1920 watts worth of energy, but you dont use it all unless the items on the line are drawing that much? Just wondering!

I have three computers in my house. Two run constantly. At any given time, those two could be the following wattages: 430, 400, 300. Then figure in monitors which can use 100 watts or more when running...hmmm. :)

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
sean, your PSU will only draw as much input power as it needs. Having a larger wattage PSU doesn't mean your electric bills will be higher. I'm not sure of the exact power rating of the GF4 Ti4600,but on the average, AGP cards draw about 50W