Video Cards for Video

SniperGuy

Mar 24, 2006
My dad is interested in putting together a PC for himself for video editing and work projects, and i've got him a good one on everything but the video card so far.

I hear there's these "all-in-wonder" things that work like a dream for video editing, but I really no naught about video cards outside of gaming. Anyone have some suggestions?

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
If all your doing is video editing then you can really get away with anything. I'd recommend a 6600GT or a X800 because of the cheap price and the ability to do some gaming as well (if you wanted too or had to).

Is he doing any video capturing? Cause that might change the answer slightly. But for the most part, a good, fast CPU is the thing that really hadles all the processing in video editing.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: SniperGuy
Yeah, that's the thing. he's got a Radeon All-In-Wonder 9000 right now, and the plan is to be able to use the card to do video capture. I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102642 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102661

The prices are significantly different, I just don't see quite what I want to aim at here.

Well don't get the second one (the significantly cheaper one), cause if you want to game on it then you SOL.

What about a TV Wonder Elite? (anybody else besides me?)

SniperGuy

Mar 24, 2006
No, no gaming whatsoever on this thing. Not my PC, my dad's. He does not game, at all. And video capture will be from an analog camcorder. Red yellow and white plugs and whatnot. TV capture wouldn't hurt either.

LW07

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
Originally posted by: SniperGuy
But what's the difference between that and the cheaper one?

The X1800XL is faster than the All-in-wonder 2006 edition X1300. So the X1800XL is a better choice if you can afford it, and if he decides that he wants to play games, the X1800XL will serve him way better than the X1300.

cpacini

Oct 22, 2005
I would avoid the all in onder cards period. If he does not have the need for any tv capure then buy a cheaper card without the tuner capabilities. If you do need a tuner, then buy a proper stand alone card, not an all in wonder.

MechaSheeba

Banned
Dec 10, 2005
You're gonna want an add-in card with a hardware MPEG-2 encoder. AFAIK, only the X1000 series of All In Wonders offers this with AVIVO, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. It's a complete waste to buy a card that powerful if it won't be used for gaming, so go with a PCI add in.

Anything with the 550pro chip should do nicely, they generally run in the $70 range. You'll most likely need an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to capture the audio as well, but a few cards have them onboard.

openwheelformula1

Sep 2, 2005
Avoid AIW at all cost if video capturing is important. I'd go with 7600GS, 1600XT, 1600Pro and a dedicated hardware based capture card (or tuner depending on what you intend to do). Any of those cards can be found with passive cooling (meaning 0 noise) and they offer great image quality.

pkme2

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2005
:D
Look under video capture cards for your video editing. Gaming cards fall in another category.
Look under video editing programs, some cards are packaged with them. Videoguys
Video Forums

If you get a separate video capture card, then use this for your editing. Sony Vegas Video.

And if you qualify for Academic software this is what you need.
Very easy to learn and great editing.