Video Card Stress Tests

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Hey guys,

Running my new 4870 and I have some concerns about the card/stability of my system.

Running 3dmark06 with the new cat hotfix will occasionally get me a really hard crash. Screen instantly goes black and video card fan revs up. Then after hitting the reset button a few times it reboots.

I have a decent PSU the Real power pro 750, and have connected the card to two separate 6 pin pci-e cables.

Running AoC or Oblivion be a good real world stress for these cards? I'm concerned that I won't be able to RMA the card as I don't know if its the card or the drivers...

3dmark06 keeps crashing my system (Did get a 15.2k mark reading once though)

I can download demo's (Crysis) and I own AoC and oblivion

Edit: Going to Try Furmark, ATI Tool, rthdribl 1.2

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
ATITool is the mainstream stress test utility for GPUs. I don't think it's been updated to support overclocking your card, but the stability test portion should still work for you.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Foxery
ATITool is the mainstream stress test utility for GPUs. I don't think it's been updated to support overclocking your card, but the stability test portion should still work for you.

Great. I've also been recommended "Furmark"

I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping this is just a wierd 3dmark bug.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Yes. Fan is set at 65%..keeps it at 43idle sorry forgot to mention temps are fine

Nov 26, 2005
do some other component stress testing also just to cross check things, like prime95 or if you want OCCT, use that memtest 3.6 (hci design) ... maybe one of the parts in your system is failing coincidentally being more apparent with your new card install. try backing off your overclocking too and re-run your GPU tests

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Originally posted by: biostud
rthdribl 1.2

Ok. Added to the list Thanks.

I'll be trying out all of the tests.

I'm pretty sure nothing in my system is crapping out on me (save for possibly the PSU but I doubt that) because my 8800GT OC still runs everything fine when I switch it back.

I have 29 days to RMA to Mwave so that will give me time to test things out.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
As far as I can tell, RTHDRBL doesn't actually return any reports... it either runs or crashes, but can't tell you why.

It does generate a huge amount of heat, and is very pretty to watch. :)

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Thats what I'm looking for:)

If 3dmark06 crashes my system then these other programs should do the same if it is anything other than 3dmark06 just sucking.

This will help me isolate the problem a "little"

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm 6076 o3score using furmark. No problems there. Anyone else have a benchie from furmark for me to compare?

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Looks like the problem is isolated to 3dmark programs....1 hour furmark no problems. 65C under load at that time.

Crysis played like a champ for the 45 mins I played

One small hickup in AoC, screen went black, like temp loss of power, thought it was the bsod again because fan speed was interrupted but then 1 second later right back into AoC