Video card serial number

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I bought a used gigabyte 290 and I bought it based on it still having warranty which the user did message me the S/N to check it. The box and cooler on the card S/N match but the S/N on the card itself is different. Its a gigabyte reference 290. Is this normal? Don't see why gigabyte would do that. My guess is maybe the cooler/card got swapped at some point. Anyone got one laying around they can check?

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Reference cards sometimes have 2 serials due to it being rebadged by the AIB. Have him take a picture of all the labels on the back. The PCB has the serial number not the cooler.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I smell a scam as well. Gigabyte is not going to track the cooler and the card itself separately, they're going to track them all as one unit. Run the serial number on the back of the card through Gigabytye's site and see what comes up.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I've done ran the serial from the back of the card. It doesn't show as being a good serial number. It doesn't look tampered with. I thought maybe the pcb isn't even a gigabyte but then I seen the gigabyte sticker with model number next to the PCI-E connector. It's certainly odd. I don't know whether to ask for a refund or just use the card if it tests ok.

The seller didn't advertise it with having warranty or guaranteed warranty so as long as it's not dead I might just have to take it as a loss on the warranty even though I only bought it based on having warranty.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
After doing some searching I came across this unboxing which showed the box and cooler having the same S/N but the PCB S/N is different. So not sure why they are different. Or if its just a Gigabyte thing. But its just on the reference boards from what I've seen.

For anyone who is curious time 3:40(box) 8:44(cooler) and 10:00(PCB) shows serials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR93Uw5jwNM

Last edited: