Video Card opinion with a 400$ budget

DPOverLord

Golden Member
Dec 20, 1999
I am curious to know what you think would be the best video card for me. If you look at my system specs below they are not bad at all. Currently I am using Win XP and am debating on making the switch to Vista. I feel that its not worth the $$$ at this point in time and in a years time DX10 will have more of a use.

Game Wise I play Team Fortress 2, Supreme Commander, and other FPS's. I havent gotten down on the research as to what is the best fit with this setup Frame Rate and Quality Wise. Any ideas?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Have you not been reading the posts?, we have a new GT out, a new GTS coming in a few weeks and AMD is releasing a card in about a week.

Now is not the time to be purchasing new video crads...

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
$400 will probably get you an overclocked 8800GTS (the new one) in December.

DPOverLord

Golden Member
Dec 20, 1999
That would be sweet! Really though I am still not sold on SLI for what I use my computer for. I am looking for a supercharged GPU that will last me another 1 1/2 to 2 years. I am looking for a significant performance boost from my current 1950XT.
How long do you feel I should wait? Until December/January?? I like to get the best bang for the buck and I am just getting back in the scene.

darbius

Mar 18, 2005
Yes, if you hit it in mid-December or after the new year, you should be fine timing-wise as far as getting the latest cards.

I also agree that SLI is of questionable worth to all but the most hardcore (as far as return-on-investment), so everything I've seen so far would lead me to believe that you should just grab up the new 8800GTS when it comes out.

Of course, check here periodically because I'm sure you would see post after post after post crying endlessly if the new 8800GTS got delayed. ;)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
If you want to buy now, get any high end EVGA (GTS/GT/GTX) card and just step-up to whatever comes out in the next few months.

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
Since you want a single GPU card this is probably the best deal out right now for under $400.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814127323
Here are a couple of other great choices.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814130318
or if you dont mind waiting 7-21 business days
http://www.microcenter.com/sin...tml?product_id=0279319
http://www.microcenter.com/sin...tml?product_id=0276270
http://www.microcenter.com/sin...tml?product_id=0277058
IMO the super clocked eVGA at microcenter is the best deal but requires a wait.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
You might also consider:

EVGA

there is also a version that comes with Crysis for $35 more plus $6 shipping, but I don't think that is a deal at all.

eVGA has a Step up program that may intrest you...

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
why "only one GPU?" its not like u treat the X2 any differently than any other normal video card...

thats similar to saying i only want a single core CPU when dual cores r available.. (more or less similar)

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
why "only one GPU?" its not like u treat the X2 any differently than any other normal video card...

thats similar to saying i only want a single core CPU when dual cores r available.. (more or less similar)

I am not sure there are any 3870x2 for under $400 right now. If you did not mind spending the extra 50 bucks or so it is the best single card out. (right now)

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
yea, at least theres no price gouging on it

That is cause ATI was smart enough to release it with enough supply to meet the demand.
Although I just noticed newegg raised the price $11 bucks. At least they are still in stock.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
they're actually up to 459.99 on newegg, but it's hard to call $10 "price gouging". They do have one for $499, but it's oc'd to 850 core.

If you won't consider a 3870x2 then your best bet is probably the evga 8800gt for $240. That's a kickass deal on that card, plus you can always look to stepup in a few months if 9800gx2 looks good. oops, sorry, not 2 gpu cards. :confused:

btw, what is the concern with the 2 gpu cards? I personally would steer clear of a 3870x2, but that is due to my noise concerns with the old 2900xt fan than any xfire concerns. AMD appears to have done a fantastic job with implementing this card and they seem to be pretty firmly set on a multi-gpu path. Also, nvidia is going the same route, so there must be something good out there for both of them. Let's face it, they've both had several years to fine-tune their crossfire/sli implementations, and they're only going to get better at it over time. If the $450 for a 3870x2 is too much for you or you have noise/heat concerns then I understand, just don't stay away because you have a fear of 2gpu's.

btw, depending on when and at what price nvidia releases the 9800gx2, you might be able to snag a 3870x2 for under $400 in a month or two.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: DPOverLord
That would be sweet! Really though I am still not sold on SLI for what I use my computer for. I am looking for a supercharged GPU that will last me another 1 1/2 to 2 years. I am looking for a significant performance boost from my current 1950XT.
How long do you feel I should wait? Until December/January?? I like to get the best bang for the buck and I am just getting back in the scene.

sorry, I missed your "bang for buck" comment. Get the evga 8800gt for $240 on newegg and overclock the s**t out of it.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

Two things I can think of -
1) Crossfire/SLI scaling is not very good right now; maybe they will improve with the state of things being as they are (and as they will be for the next year or more), but right now a single GPU is the way to go
2) Quad Crossfire does not work (at least it didn't when I last read about it). This won't really matter in the future, but hypothetically there is no upgrade path.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
scaling is much better today on crossfire and sli than it used to be. most of the people who don't like them had them a year or two ago and gave up on them. They're still not perfect by any means, but all indications are that they are getting much better and they'll have strong driver support going forward.

quad crossfire is supposed to be out in late feb/early mar. What I'm looking for is OCTO crossfire with 4x3870x2. I know, I know, that's a lot of x's, but imagine the possibilities...crysis at 1920x1200 with very high settings...maybe even some AA...wow...sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself.

NinjaJedi

Jan 31, 2008
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
scaling is much better today on crossfire and sli than it used to be. most of the people who don't like them had them a year or two ago and gave up on them. They're still not perfect by any means, but all indications are that they are getting much better and they'll have strong driver support going forward.

quad crossfire is supposed to be out in late feb/early mar. What I'm looking for is OCTO crossfire with 4x3870x2. I know, I know, that's a lot of x's, but imagine the possibilities...crysis at 1920x1200 with very high settings...maybe even some AA...wow...sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself.

3870x2's only have 1 crossfire bridge on them so you can only run 2 card for a quad crossfirex. Also there is a beta driver for the crossfirex out now. I read a review on fpslabs. It is a beta driver so it does not really show the real performance yet but it scaled well in a couple of the tests they did. Only time will tell.

http://www.fpslabs.com/reviews...-at-crossfirex-scaling

DPOverLord

Golden Member
Dec 20, 1999
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 3870X2 was to video cards. If it only takes one slot I am all for it but the thing is my 1950Xt is pretty kick ass but I am giving it to my little brother who is running an X800Xl. So I need a video card that will give me my moneys worth. With that being said I need something that is significant. My 600Watt PSU will only take so much so I want the best bang for my buck. Please advise.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
Originally posted by: DPOverLord
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 3870X2 was to video cards. If it only takes one slot I am all for it but the thing is my 1950Xt is pretty kick ass but I am giving it to my little brother who is running an X800Xl. So I need a video card that will give me my moneys worth. With that being said I need something that is significant. My 600Watt PSU will only take so much so I want the best bang for my buck. Please advise.

It takes two slots, but 1 PCI-e slot, if that's what you mean. It's two GPUs on one PCB.

Check it out for yourself.

If you don't get that, just go for an eVGA 8800gt 512mb.

Blacklash

Feb 22, 2007
If you resell your cards when you get tired of them you may want to consider XFX. They support end user overclocking, and HSF replacement like Evga. They also allow you to transfer your life time warranty to a buyer. That builds value with people when you are trying to sell.

I'd suggest an 8800GT (512Mb) as best bang for the buck too with the 8800GTS 512Mb as a close second. Some of those have fallen in price. I believe some from XFX have settled @ the 279 mark with rebate @ Newegg. While their 8800GT cards are 249.

On the other hand, Evga might be a good buy too if nVidia release anything within the next 90 days you might want to StepUp to. StepUp allows you to trade a card in for a better version within 90 days after purchase. You pay the difference between the two.

DPOverLord

Golden Member
Dec 20, 1999
Considering I have a 1950XT I am trying really hard to determine if this upgrade would be significant. I also am not sure if this would fit in my Motherboard either. I have a massive case with over 10 fans and I am not sure if my motherboard could take up the two slots. Since right now I can not put the Video card on the top PCIEX slot due to my HR-05 SLI heat Sink. Let me post some pictures and tell me what you think.
Plus I am going to use WIN XP and is it really that much of a difference going from a Sapphire 1950XT to a 8800GT or 3870X2. Or should I just get something cheaper so that in a year or two I can upgrade when its more urgent. Let me know what you think.
I feel my system is pretty bad ass at the moment...