Video Card Needed

Scally

Nov 12, 2017
I'm hoping for some guidance on a new video card here. I built my third desktop last year. I used a Maximus VIII board, a 6700 chip, and two 8 gig TridentZ sticks. Now I'm having display difficulties. My monitor is a 27" LG IPS LED. Pages don't load as fast as they should, and videos sometimes don't play, or buffer way too much. YouTube is usually okay, but IMDb videos are hopeless. If I'm on IMDb and I want to watch a trailer, I just go to YouTube to watch it. My router is bad (Comptrend 5831 rental cheapie), but that doesn't account for all the problems I see. I'll get a new router soon.

So, I'm not a gamer, but I like gamer quality parts for future-proofing and so I don't expect too much from my rig. All I do is visit websites and watch videos, but that alone requires a lot from a system anymore.

I'm inclined toward 4K so that I could use a 4K monitor one day, but not for $400. My budget is more like $200us (I'm in Canada).

I've just been using the onboard video since I built this, but it's not enough.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
There's no way you should be having those problems with the Intel iGPU. It's got to be your internet provider's speed.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
A 4GB RX 560 or GTX 1050 will do the job just fine for you I think. Emphasis on 4GB.

Scally

Nov 12, 2017
Well, I might be surprised by the difference when I replace the router. We have 20mb/s (or maybe it's gb/s) where I live. We're trapped by a telecom monopoly. When Bell spread out across the county 100 years ago, they bypassed Cottam for some reason, so a private company started up to provide for this town. Changing the business plan would destroy the company - like I care - so they won't let any other company into town, and don't have any customers outside of town. They try to be competitive, which means mediocre, with what is within 50 miles or so, with price and speed. The 5831 is crap, and we have to restart it every day or two, or bandwidth is increasingly restricted until we get the dns page.

So you think this setup is more than enough for the nongamer?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The 6700 with display port can also drive a 4k60 monitor.

Make sure GPU acceleration is turned on with whatever browser you use. HD 4600 is very capable even for 4k60.

I use HD 4600 on my i3 rig and it drives a 4k60 display and has no lag on websites.