Video card for trading computer

DBissett

Sep 29, 2000
I'm looking to expand my trading computer setup from 3 monitors to 5 or 6 and am uncertain what products to use to do this. Currently I'm using a HD 5750 card to run 3 monitors and my initial thought was that I'd add another mid tier card to run 3 more. Then I saw at AMD's website that half their R7 cards and all of their R9 cards will run 6 monitors with a DP MST hub. Is this a better idea? Which card(s) in AMD's line would be adequate to handle trading data well if I did this? As for the monitors themselves the final setup will be one desktop spanning a 30" and two 21" inch screens for a total resolution of 4960x1600, and a second desktop spanning 2-3 24" screens. Thanks for ideas.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Yar, there are various versions that actually have the 6 connectors on board (sometimes 5). Problem is they are usually somewhat expensive, starting around $200.

I suggested that one based on a quick search of Amazon...it's a higher end card than some and seemed to have a bigger better cooler on it.
This one is slightly cheaper, based on a lower end card and with a smaller cooler:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7EPSVS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Didn't look as good to me...but perhaps a better fit for you.

If you want to try to find more of them yourself, AMD originally called these "Eyefinity 6". Can try terms like Eye 6 or 6x DP...

Lorthreth

Aug 14, 2004
paint.ruokamo.eu
One way could be, get for example W4100. One of the more cheaper FirePros.

Use 3 of the Displayports for first 3 screens and then get for the other 2-3 monitors that have DP MST built-in.
For example U2414H
And then daisy chain 2-3 monitors from the last Displayport.

No need to buy DP MST hub if the monitors do the work.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
One way could be, get for example W4100. One of the more cheaper FirePros.

Use 3 of the Displayports for first 3 screens and then get for the other 2-3 monitors that have DP MST built-in.
For example U2414H
And then daisy chain 2-3 monitors from the last Displayport.

No need to buy DP MST hub if the monitors do the work.

Do you have any experience with chaining, or have you read anything recently?

Last I heard, chaining didn't work good...unless you had all exactly the same monitors. And I still have not even seen an MST hub, it's like they don't exist. But this is not something I work with or keep up on...last time I looked into something like this was probably close to a year ago. Though I do drool over the idea of a large projector array.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
if you are keeping your current monitors, a 2nd cheap card is typically easier and simpler.

one other option would be to get some 21:9 34" monitors.

daisy chaining seems to be in the early work out the kinks stage of hardware. chaining monitors under 1920x1200 supposedly works fine, its just the larger resolutions we are hearing issues with.