Video Card Consumption Chart

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Where are those numbers coming from? Published specs? Actually testing with the honest-to-goodness hardware? Why is Larrabee in there, when no one has even see it?

airhendrix13

Oct 15, 2006
The link comes from here: LINK

The readings were found mostly on tech report, tweaktown, anandtech, and xbitlabs then collaborated into one big graph.

There are other sources, but most of them are good, reliable sites (bit-tech, guru3d)

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Yes, but the chart shows GPU-only power consumption numbers, and I see a whole bunch of random and obscure cards. And how do you measure the power consumption of an IGP like the GMA 900 anyway?

All of that leads me to believe that someone simply compiled a bunch of numbers from manufacturer specs. The main problem being one manufacturer might measure or determine power consumption by different standards than another (which is the case with Intel and AMD's TDP specs).

What I'm getting at here is that it would be a handy chart if everything else was equal, and all the cards were tested in real world conditions using the same platform (or at least very similar ones - I realize that some of the cards are AGP). Otherwise, any comparisons might not be valid.

airhendrix13

Oct 15, 2006
The sources within the link I provided in my second post might answer some of those questions. Overall, whether some of the more abstract cards are iffy, the more mainstream card info may help others.

If you find anything out, please let me know though.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Going to have to get back to you on that one ;) - I can't view that link at the moment because it's being filter-blocked (Asia-Pacific webhost). But just for now - I'm glad someone took the time and effort to try to make a handy reference like this - ideally, those numbers will have been obtained using the same methods, so that someone could do an "apples-to-apples" comparison using the data.

airhendrix13

Oct 15, 2006
I agree with you that it may not be solid, equal across the board numbers, but despite not being tested on the same platform, it still provides a good, general look at GPU consumption and may come in handy for someone upgrading their GPU or PSU.

Definitely let me know what you find when you are able!