Video Card compatibility

BlueW1zard

Jul 8, 2016
I'm about to grab a new Video card to put into my old motherboard to tide me over until next year and I have a concern.

I'm using a MSI p67 GD-65 which is currently running a R9 290 without any issues. Will my MB be compatible with the R9 Fury, Rx 480, GTX 1070 etc.?

I've done some searching and I have only found people with issues running a R9 290 or gtx 970 in that board and a BIOS update fixed it for them.

I'm currently running on the original BIOS that came with the board back in 2011 and have never touched it because everything has been rock solid.

I don't mind updating my BIOS if needs be, but was just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this.

Mar 10, 2006
You'll be just fine. Updating the BIOS is a good idea just in case there were any issues/quirks, but fundamentally these new cards should be 100% compatible.

BlueW1zard

Jul 8, 2016
You'll be just fine. Updating the BIOS is a good idea just in case there were any issues/quirks, but fundamentally these new cards should be 100% compatible.

I have a feeling that will be the case. Thanks for the quick response.

I'll stick a new card in and if it doesn't post I will update my BIOS :)

ps I'm reluctant to update the BIOS just yet as I have heard that it cripples the SandyBridge OC settings to allow for IvyBridge

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Why are you upgrading from a 290?

480 / 1060 aren't upgrades but side grades mostly.

BlueW1zard

Jul 8, 2016
Nice! I just did the same upgrade :)

Cool :)

How are you getting on?

I've installed mine (had to update BIOS to latest because it wouldn't post)

So far I'm pretty happy but there are a few issues:

I get some coil whine when benching/ gaming but everything seems stable at least.

I also get bad 3dmark 11 scores (12700) but I get expected Heaven benchmarks. I have the latest drivers etc

Doom is the most impressive. On Ultra@1080p I get between 110 and 170 fps!

Another downside is that now i've updated my BIOS I've lost my CPU Overclock on my 2500k, so I need to mess with that.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Cool :)

How are you getting on?

I've installed mine (had to update BIOS to latest because it wouldn't post)

So far I'm pretty happy but there are a few issues:

I get some coil whine when benching/ gaming but everything seems stable at least.

I also get bad 3dmark 11 scores (12700) but I get expected Heaven benchmarks. I have the latest drivers etc

Doom is the most impressive. On Ultra@1080p I get between 110 and 170 fps!

Another downside is that now i've updated my BIOS I've lost my CPU Overclock on my 2500k, so I need to mess with that.

No coil whine, it is silent and cool :). Yeah CPU bottleneck is probably happening if you lost your overclock. Played some Tomb Raider, need to sit down and finish it one day. Been playing mostly overwatch though ;)

BlueW1zard

Jul 8, 2016
No coil whine, it is silent and cool :). Yeah CPU bottleneck is probably happening if you lost your overclock. Played some Tomb Raider, need to sit down and finish it one day. Been playing mostly overwatch though ;)

Yeah, mine runs silent and cool too, despite a little bit of coil whine (which seems to be in a few select things and hardly noticeable)

I've got it overclocked to 1100 mhz and getting decent FPS. Great card.