Video card artifacting problem

KillerPotato

Nov 24, 2004
Ati X800XL
Athlon 3000+
1 gig corsair value ram
Chaintech VNF4

I dont really know if this is what you'd call artifacting, because I've never really experienced it before, but...

After I just installed my new system and I try CS Source for the first time, the effect of the flash grenades was followed by a multicolored grid that faded with the flash, and the nightvision goggles were almost a solid green except for a couple of holes. This was under the catalyst drivers, so I uninstalled them and tried out the omega drivers. I have almost the exact same problem except instead of a multicolor grid i get random symbols and instead of an almost solid green there are square patches of a clear green while theres no nightvision effect on the rest of the screen. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and know how to fix it? Thanks for any help you all can provide.

CrispyFried

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Sounds like overheating or overclocking. Or maybe the ps isnt powerful enough. Does te x800 need ist own power cord?

qbackin

Banned
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: CrispyFried
Sounds like overheating or overclocking. Or maybe the ps isnt powerful enough. Does te x800 need ist own power cord?

Yeah need some more info here to help.
Psu?
OC'ed?

KillerPotato

Nov 24, 2004
Its not overclocked, but it might be the psu. Its a 480w thermaltake, but I am using a 20 pin ATX connector on a 24 pin board, and I have heard the extra 4 pins power the video card, and the X800XL doesnt have an external power connector. I have a 430 watt Antec with 24 pins that I was getting ready to take back to best buy because I didnt think I would need it, but I will try it out if thats the cause of the problem. Other than that it runs everything beautifully (Far Cry had some big problems with the water and lighting, but those went away as soon as I updated the game with the latest patch).