video card (and system) life

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
I think I might go with the 7900gt as my vid card for the overclocking.
I'm also overclocking my cpu.
Is this going to drastically affect my system's life?
By how much?
Thanks

fixxxer0

Dec 28, 2004
It will affect the life yes, more heat is generated, if you use more voltage that affects it as well... That being said, I have had my computer running at the edge of its overclock stability for 3 years without any issued whatsoever, as have many.

I don't think you will have any problems at all by the time you want to upgrade/replace the system again in say 3 to 4 years.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
24 hours until your computer will self destruct

havent you heard? its the new feature in all amd/intel nvidia/ati parts.. when you oc for longer than 24 hours your pc will implode

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
The life of your overclocked system will depend on the amount of overclock as well as how hot it runs. If you're only doing moderate overclocks it should only cause a minimal effect on the lifespan of your system. The cooler you can keep your components the longer it's life will be as well. If you're doing extreme overclocks, even if you keep it very cold with phase change cooling, don't expect it to last long. If the product is good, and you only do moderate overclocking and have adequate cooling, there is no reason it shouldn't last 10+ years.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
bassbomb... funny guy.:)
thanks, would a 3200+ oced to 2.6 considered extreme?
what about 2.4?

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
Originally posted by: cpacini
Originally posted by: BassBomb
2.4 is a good oc for 3200+

2.6 is amazing

Mine does 2.8 :p

Nice OC on a Venice, my Opty won't go that high, although it gets decently close.

OP - It will not effect the part's lives at all in terms of realistic years of use so long as you don't go crazy with voltages and watch your temps. In fact if you determine your temps with stock cooling, OC without raising voltages, and then add cooling to get back to the original temps AFAIK you will have no decreased life whatsoever. Overclocking a 3000+ to the level of a 3800+ will certainly last no less time than a 3800+ at the same temps.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
It's not the clocks that shorten the life span, but the high temperatures, and even more so - increased voltage. If you can reach high clocks using default voltage, then there's no risk in keeping it at those high clocks as long as your temps are within reasonable limits.