Video camera with good quality audio recording (mic)

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
What cameras in the low to midrange budget have good quality audio recording with their built-in microphones? Portability is the name of the game so I'd like to avoid an external mike if possible.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
It really depends on what your expectations and applications are. For the most part, I hate to say it, but they all suck. Most pick up wind noise with no hope of killing it and the dynamic range is limited. They also are limited in their application as they capture around the camera.

What are you really trying to do?

If you have a Mic in, you can add a Rode Videomic. Stepping up, add a Beachtek box and any combination of Senn, A-T, etc. mics (I have a Beachtek DXA-8 and a A-T 835ST as my main.)

Externally, a Sampson Tech Zoom H4 is popular. You need to do clapper board techniques to get your sync point. It also does dual mics and phantom voltage (as all of the really good mics are XLR).

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Steve, there is a good audio for video forum at Dvinfo.net's Community section. Get your friend to hang there a little. A couple of our posters and moderators have won Emmy's and other industry awards for audio (Douglas Spotted Eagle with VASST for one). Also look for Jay Rose's audio pages and DV.com contributions.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Keep in mind the audio on consumer DV units is not that great.

You can also record audio separately with an M-Audio Micro Track Pro at 24/96 if you demand the best quality PCM tracks on a limited budget. Clapper definitely required. ;)

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Simple: Get a camera with a hotshoe and mount a decent microphone on top of it.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Googer
Simple: Get a camera with a hotshoe and mount a decent microphone on top of it.

Don't be so quick to blame the onboard microphone! Even a small electret (or pair) can pick up a wide variety of frequencies and give some image definition. (although the spacing is not ideal for true binaural recording but that's not desirable in most video scenarios.)

If mic amp/preamp is just connected to a 1/8" disconnecting type TRS then adding an external mic is only going to improve quality on separation and imaging. Most consumer DV equipment is recording PCM with 12bit quantization which is going to be on the harsh side for audio critical work. 16bit is the minimum (44.1kHz or higher) and 20-24bit is ideal. Most consumer camcorders don't have balanced mic inputs supplying phantom power (48V) to real microphones (1/4" TRS or Neutrik XLR) so if you really need decent PCM for your work use a separate deck for audio. :)