Video camera as a webcam...how to ??

SladeZero

Jul 10, 2001
Hey there,

I have heard that you can use your video camera as a webcam. Right now I have a Sony
HI-8 video camera connected through a TV card to get video from it. I use it to capture
video to make VCDs. I thought......."HEY maybe I could save myself some money on a webcam
and use this :)". Anyone know how to set this up or any software that would support this ??
I have a live video feed into the comp I just don't know how to direct it through a video-conference.

Thanks for any info given. :)

SladeZero

ShowdOWN

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2002
only one way to find out. install a webcam program and see if the capture card is listed as a video output device.

i have a minature security bullet camera at work that is connected to a video capture card and it works fine as a webcam.
its kinda overkill as a webcam though.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I would think a Video Capture card or a video card that can take video Input from cable can be used in that manner. I would think a video camera can be displayed on a TV with a VCR and then the output can be sent to the video card with coax or something.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think View Sonic makes a device to watch video on your computer. If I remember right you can hook up a camer to it.

SladeZero

Jul 10, 2001
Hey there,

Yea I got it to work. :). The only thing is my Video Camera has auto shut-off after about 5 mins if I am not recording or playing
video. Anyone got a work around for this prob ?? Many thanks for the info :).

Sladezero