Video: Bruce Lee's 1966 screen test for The Green Hornet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
that competition bullshit isn't real fighting, so your argument is flawed to begin with

oh, and either guy could probably fuck up some mma guys in a real fight, they would probably be too quick for a lot of opponents.
Both Lee and Norris can be accurately called "MMA guys". Norris is a BJJ BB under the Machado bros. Lee trained with high level practitioners of a number of systems. Both also studied under the legendary Gene LeBell, at some point in their lives.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Bruce Lee was the first--and last--Ambassador of Awesome.

He should have unleashed his 1 inch punch on that old dude. :D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yup you are right. Thats why we see a bunch of kung fu fighters on the ring. Bruce lee is only in the movies. fantasy. I admire the guy when I was growing up.

well, that just shows how ignorant you are. he's almost single-handedly responsible for introducing the Martial Arts to the US, to popularizing it.

He is the first "MMA" fighter--by creating Jeet Kun Do. Bruce Lee was more of an instructor than he was a movie star. His movie work was simply his way of introducing the world to his art and to his philosophy.

Only a teet-sucking acne'd troglodyte would think that Bruce Lee was "a fantasy."

There isn't a single fucking MMA fighter that could match him. Not a god damn chance in hell.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I mean 6 time world champ Chuck Norris. Did Lee ever fight anyone? He may well have been a very bad man, but he never proved it, not where anyone could observe it, anyway. I believe Chuck taught Lee a bit, too.

I liked some of his movies, but always felt like his legend was so big because he died young....happens to lots of folks who die young, in their prime.

Bruce Lee was an actor. Chuck Norris was a professional fighter who turned into an actor.

Chuck has been asked this question before....he's pretty much ducked it, in respect to Lee's memory, but reading "between the lines", I think it's clear Chuck thinks he could have taken Lee.

So he makes a point to say "I NEVER 'admitted' I would be no match for Lee.
Clearly, a 6-time world champ most certainly was a match for anyone.

He then goes on to say Lee was a formidable opponent, but was never a professional fighter. Also says he thinks had Lee fought, "I believe he would have been a world champion".

http://townhall.com/columnists/ChuckNorris/2008/04/01/bruce_lee_vs_me?page=full&comments=true/page/2

lee pretty much spent most of his time on sets in China physically defending his reputation. sparring partners/actors, stagehands, and who the hell else would just show up and attack him, to prove that they were better. he was understood to be a Master, so he naturally attracted such challenges.

Some of those were essentially death matches. Maybe he wasn't a "professional fighter" b/c he actually spent that time in real fights, defending his life.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
well, that just shows how ignorant you are. he's almost single-handedly responsible for introducing the Martial Arts to the US, to popularizing it.

He is the first "MMA" fighter--by creating Jeet Kun Do. Bruce Lee was more of an instructor than he was a movie star. His movie work was simply his way of introducing the world to his art and to his philosophy.

Only a teet-sucking acne'd troglodyte would think that Bruce Lee was "a fantasy."

There isn't a single fucking MMA fighter that could match him. Not a god damn chance in hell.

How does lee demonstrate their technique? PUt your hands on my harm and I will show you how to defend. LOL

Only thing he did was popularize martial arts in the "movie" the movie.

way to shut an mma fighter is bring one of bruce student or discipline up in the ring.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
How does lee demonstrate their technique? PUt your hands on my harm and I will show you how to defend. LOL

way to shut an mma fighter is bring one of bruce student or discipline up in the ring.

wut?

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
don't forget he also developed his own hybrid martial art..

the Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

i used to have a co-worker, Blaine, who was totally into it. did the exercises every day to improve his hand strength, where you drive your open hand into buckets of sand.

it's amazing how fast Bruce Lee moves in a business suit. is that a normal suit or has he had it tweaked so it doesn't restrict his movement ? Jesus.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yup you are right. Thats why we see a bunch of kung fu fighters on the ring. Bruce lee is only in the movies. fantasy. I admire the guy when I was growing up.
Here is some food for thought: Kung Fu evidently means great skill. China has many different martial arts, give this a look. http://www.artofwarfc.cn/?q=node/276 It also points out that you can have kung-fu in cooking, etc.

Have a look at the Chinese MMA scene, and you will see a number of fighters in the Art of War org. with Chinese martial arts backgrounds. Makes a little sense, does it not? That you would find more Chinese MMA fighters in China than here?

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006

Son, are you retarded?

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Here is some food for thought: Kung Fu evidently means great skill. China has many different martial arts, give this a look. http://www.artofwarfc.cn/?q=node/276 It also points out that you can have kung-fu in cooking, etc.

Have a look at the Chinese MMA scene, and you will see a number of fighters in the Art of War org. with Chinese martial arts backgrounds. Makes a little sense, does it not? That you would find more Chinese MMA fighters in China than here?

awesome link!!! There is no doubt that there are great chinese fighters out there. Looking at the link and the video, I see just regular mma fighting.

My argument against bruce lees technique is what I see in the movies or some of his demonstration on youtube. If he fights the way he fought on screen in the ring he has no chance. If he improvised like some people say and adapt to the fighting techinique on the ring then he is just an mma fighter.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
Nice clip, I saw parts of it in a documentary and was simply amazed at his speed. I see a lot of ignorance posts, so I will help clarify a few things.

1. Bruce Lee was without a doubt one of the most influential man in American History. As a man he fought his way to bring together and teach all races (Asians, Blacks, Whites) as he believed that there are no boundaries in gender and race in martial arts. As a martial artists, he brought a lot of influences to forms of fighting, movie films, and became a role model to many not just martial artists and professional boxers.

2. Bruce Lee did a lot of street fighting before he trained in martial arts. His Jeet Kune Do is actually based on free form fighting, like those of UFC. In fact, Bruce Lee is actually an idol of boxing champion Sugar Ray Leonard. So, no I do not believe any simple boxer can walk up to him and beat him.

3. Bruce Lee was a martial artist that became an actor; jacky chan and many others are actors that became martial artists. Don't be confused by how he obtained his fame.

4. I have just touched the edge of it. Just can't believe Bruce Lee's greatness is being looked down by some fuck heads.

Here is a modern Documentary of Bruce Lee

"Be like water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
That was a bad ass video! Cheers for the video.

Koing

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Considering his open philosophy about learning from difference styles of martial arts, it's foolish to think that if Bruce Lee was still living today, he wouldn't have learned about BJJ before most of us did (during UFC 1).

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Considering his open philosophy about learning from difference styles of martial arts, it's foolish to think that if Bruce Lee was still living today, he wouldn't have learned about BJJ before most of us did (during UFC 1).

I thought his style was superior?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I thought his style was superior?

His style was no style really. He took the best of it all.

Sad thing is most people's experience with martial arts is in such a watered down dojo due to insurance worries they have no clue what the real deal is like.

I took quite a few years in a 'pay for belt' system with one of the sensei's that brought the students in. World ranked and all that crap.

After our 1-2 hours in the 'system', we'd go outside and get the real deal on the side.

Even with the waivers some fucking dumbasses would cry about getting hurt.

They'd lose their spots after-hours.