Vid-Saver adware, tracking cookies, etc.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have had a problem with Vid-Saver, which perhaps has some legitimate functions (a search reveals that some like its ability to store internet video locally), but I've never used that AFAIK. It evidently also sets up very annoying ads at the top of my Google search results, usually with 3 (sometimes less) ad-links.

I thought maybe I'd gotten rid of it, but it popped up again on this machine, running Win7 64 and MS Security Essentials. I ran Malwarebytes Free, which did a full scan and said it found zero problems! :hmm:

A search on Vid-Saver turned up a top level hit for a site with instructions on getting rid of it called ExterminateIt, basically. Not sure about its instructions, but what I did was search my registry for all references to Vid-Saver and deleted all those keys and I found the \Vid-Saver folder and deleted all its files and the folder and rebooted.

At the ExterminateIt page for eliminating Vid-Saver there were a couple of downloads (I was suspicious, but searches on ExterminateItSetup.exe didn't reveal problems), and I installed and ran the app. It's not too different from Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware or similar utilities that scan and report suspicious files on your computer. It came up with 200, most tracking cookies, plus the Vid-Saver files. I asked it to "Remove" them (clicked the button) and behold, was told that that's only possible if you activate the program, i.e. pay for it and get the key. Not liking to be tricked into things, I demured and went about my own attempts to rid my system of Vid-Saver (the date on the folder was 09/18/2012).

Well, will see if I'm really rid of it, but I'd also like to get rid of tracking cookies. Suggestions? I just removed Malwarebytes because it turns out the "Free" version is really 20 day or something.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, I open Firefox and do a Google search on "Asus" and up comes the same damn Vid-Saver generated ad-let at the top, WTF!

A search for "Vid-Saver" on my machine suggests that this maybe came on board with an ImgBurn install. It's presumably a plugin but I don't see it in my Firefox plugins. I may have to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it, is about all I can think to get rid of this thing.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yup, Imgburn was installed the same day, 9/18/2012.

A search has just gotten me this page:

http://vid-saver.com/uninstall.html

That pointed me to the removal that I think has worked. It's an extension of Firefox, Chrome, etc.

I'm going to try to be extra careful when installing "freeware." They can have rider apps/utilites/adware/etc. I guess they can do it in a completely clandestine manner, but a lot of the time they have a checkbox you can uncheck to prevent junk from installing. Vid-Saver, the way it works when doing Google searches is nasty. Your search results come up for a split second and then they are shoved down about 15-20 lines to make room for the 3 or so ads. Sucks.

Last edited: