Vibrating Tower Case

imported_sanjuro

Nov 6, 2006
The outer plastic casing vibrates every once in a while. It drives me nuts. Any suggestions on what to put under it to help absorb it and stop the vibrating? I was thinking a carpet, but then I thought about electric shock, which might harm the computer. I doubt it, but I don't want to risk it. Or if they have some kind of rubber "feet" I could attach to the bottom, that might work. I haven't seen any to buy, though.

Thanks.

imported_sanjuro

Nov 6, 2006
It's a Dell Inspiron 531. You know how in the front there's a silver, plastic cover? Or casing, whatever you want to call it. I'm sure if I had the tower off of my desk and on the carpet it would keep it from vibrating, but that's not an option, so I need something to place under it. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. It's worth a shot.

law9933

Sep 11, 2006
A hardware store should have something rubber to (glue) under PC. I would think a quiet PC would mean less vibration. http://www.directron.com/silence.html
Wedge something small between the case & the plastic. A piece of wide rubberband?
Spot glue cover to case with clear silicone, can be cut later for removal.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Cheap solution - set it on a pair of foam rubber mouse pads. I do that with some external burners, etc.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
the case should have had feet when you bought it, if not, take it back to where you purchased it, it may be a repackaged return.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006

if it's vibrating it's a sign something rotating is out of balance,
and/or the chassis resonates.

hoping it's not the hard drive, i would look at the fans.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
this is sounding like he's gotten a return that was beat up. if he bought it "new".
I'd check to make sure all 4 screw are holing the PSU snugly in place on the back, and also complain to where ever they bought it.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Lots of people have PCs sitting on carpet. Use that if it's convenient and if it solves the noise problem.