Viability of A6-5400K in HTPC

Stabgotham

Jun 25, 2008
I have only seen one review (Tom's Hardware) of the A6-5400K (Trinity). TH puts the IGP of the A6-5400K a tiny tick behind the A8-3850 (Llano). I initially though the A6-5400K was the most compelling of the new Trinity processors, but having seen those results, I'm now concerned that the A6-5400K won't cut the mustard in an HTPC with the focus being to use MadVR. Is there merit to my thoughts? Should I instead pony up the extra cash and spring for the A8 or the A10?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I have only seen one review (Tom's Hardware) of the A6-5400K (Trinity). TH puts the IGP of the A6-5400K a tiny tick behind the A8-3850 (Llano). I initially though the A6-5400K was the most compelling of the new Trinity processors, but having seen those results, I'm now concerned that the A6-5400K won't cut the mustard in an HTPC with the focus being to use MadVR. Is there merit to my thoughts? Should I instead pony up the extra cash and spring for the A8 or the A10?
I can only speak from personal experience. I have a Celeron G465 (single core sandy bridge with HT @ 1900MHz) based "toy" acting as a mini-HTPC on a secondary TV. It has played everything I have thrown at it (including blu-ray playback) and handles media streaming reasonably well. About the only thing it can't handle is MadVR rendering, that is simply too much for the integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics). I have not tested with a discrete card...

I do not know how fast the A6-5400K is, but its a good bet that the integrated GPU is significantly superior to the -very- basic HD Graphics...

That was my 2c...():)

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Traditional hardware acceleration cannot be used with MadVR. Instead, use LAV DXVA2 copy-back, or CyberLink HAM (for AMD).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyking Home Theater PCs 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY