VIA 4-in-1 4.29 *FINAL* Drivers Released

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
No info from VIAHardware, not on either VIA sites. God knows if they're final or not.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< No info from VIAHardware, not on either VIA sites. God knows if they're final or not >>

I've checked the file dates for these files and they list 2-26-01. The beta versions show an earlier date.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Well the newer date might mean that its a newer built of the beta.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I have no reason to doubt Electic Tech. They are probably the TOP news site on the web today.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
If I'm not having problems with the 4.29 betas, should I install these? You guys think I'll get any performance increase?

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
Its actually redirected from a Soltek server, they dont host the file on their own servers. I guess it could be the real final, since board manufacturers always get these before we do.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
<<About Richard Brown's comments in the post below...VH has long had VIA beta drivers on our site. These drivers are no doubt a big attraction to VH, but most often these BETA drivers offer fixes that greatly help thousands of VIA users. In many cases our BETA drivers, not yet released by VIA, are the only way some users can get their VIA systems to work at all.
Recently VIA has updated their driver page to now include the 4.28 drivers. Did you ever wonder why VIA jumped from 4.25 to 4.28? Or what happened to 4.26 and 4.27? As you probably know, VH has had the 4.26 and 4.27 drivers on our site for a few months now. VIA has had these drivers as official drivers, but their webmaster actually did not have time to post them on VIA's site. You would think with a company as big as VIA, and with the improvements the 4.26 and 4.27 offered in terms of busmaster support, that they would FIND time to post them. If users had to rely solely on VIA's driver page, and not VH's, hundreds of thousands of VIA users would have been deprived improved IDE and AGP drivers for the last few months. Also remember the 4.26 drivers were included on Abit's VP6 driver CD, though never posted on VIA's page.

VH receives a &quot;stream&quot; of e-mails regarding the BETA drivers. Also our message board is flooded with questions regarding the BETA drivers. We do our best to help VIA's users out, and support the BETA drivers as best we can. We have always made it clear that these drivers are BETA, when in reality they usually are not. There were NO changes made to 4.28 on its official release, although it had a number of problems as I'm sure you are aware.>>

Jasper's reply to VIA's Richard Brown comments on beta 4in1s.

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
hmmm...i'll wait for viahardware to say something...
who wants to install them first and tell us :)

Rado

Feb 18, 2000
They are from Soltek, someone from Soltek slipped Electic the word. I doubt ViaHardware has anything to do with this. This is clearly between Soltek, VIA, and Electic.

Via uploaded them to the Soltek server yesterday morning. It does NOT appear on the Soltek server unless its final. That is what I think is going through Electic Tech's mind. They most probably are right but they could be wrong also.

In any case, installed it and its fine. Fixed my ATA-100 problem somehow!

Thanks for the news....fine news once again!

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
can anyone tell me what this means?

Windows 2000 candidate version - If you only install Windows 2000 candidate version, the MS IDE Driver limit the ATA100 feature and only support up to ATA66. It will switch the operation mode of ATA100 mode to PIO mode. After Install Filter Driver, the operation mode of ATA100 device will be decreased to ATA66 only, not to PIO mode.

Rado

Feb 18, 2000
Electic is getting sneaky. On their patches page I noticed Winamp 2.73 Final. That is not even out yet according to NullSoft...it is on Nullsoft's FTP server though.

Download

Zipperhead

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2000
i just installed them and ran some benchmarks.i see no difference in performance or stability