VGA -> DVI-A -> DVI-I -> HDMI viewable?

Sensai

Nov 30, 2002
looking to get a cable to connect a laptop that only has vga dsub to a samsung 1080p dlp and be able to use it in the future when i get a htpc built that would have dvi.

2397 HD15 VGA to DVI-A adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ...041903&p_id=2397&seq=1&format=2&style=

2405 DVI-I cable to HDMI http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ...023104&p_id=2405&seq=1&format=2&style=

Will this combination work??

Wiki confused me..
"Type A HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface carrying digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will not be available. Additionally, without support for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) on the display, the signal source may prevent the end user from viewing or especially copying certain restricted content. (While all HDMI displays currently support HDCP, most DVI PC-style displays do not.) Type B HDMI is similarly backward-compatible with dual-link DVI."

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
A VGA to DVI-A to HDMI cable will effectively remove every signal you have and leave you with nothing connected.

keep in mind VGA is analog only, HDMI is digital only, DVI has analog and digital in it, depending on the scenario.

So you would go analog VGA to analog DVI to HDMI with nothing in it.

Alot of 1080p samsung DLP's have a VGA input, so thats your best bet when using a laptop with an analog output.

When you build an HTPC, you can simply use a DVI to HDMI cable and output full digital 1080p via DVI to HDCP

Sensai

Nov 30, 2002
crap.... if VGA to HDMI is not possible, i assume the best connection would be VGA to component?

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Sensai
crap.... if VGA to HDMI is not possible, i assume the best connection would be VGA to component?

yes, but make sure the TV you buy can take 1080p over component. Some cant do over 1080i via component, and can only do 1080p via HDMI/DVI.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
If you have VGA then the best connection is VGA. If your graphics card can do component-out, then that's the next option.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
There is no DVI-A to DVI-I cable, you cannot simply make an analog signal digital, you need to convert it via sampling. There might be a stand alone box that does this, the new Recievers by Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. will take all signals and upconvert to a single HDMI at 1080i or 1080P.

Edit: Many will convert them to HDMI, but only a few expensive ones will upconvert to 1980P. One new Sony is $1500, but gets great reviews. I want a new reciever now :(