VERY stubborn browser hijack

lotharamious

Feb 17, 2006
I got a virus last week, and have been cleaning up the remnants of it for a while. I've run dozens of spyware and antivirus scans. Finally, when I run the scans, and they turn up nothing, I think that the stuff is gone. Well, it doesn't end there. For some reason, if I open up firefox, firefox fails to open any pages, as it always says error connecting to page (the usual no internet error). However, if I leave firefox open, it will eventually open some stupid pop-up type page in IE. I've tried reinstalling firefox and deleting my profiles, but it's always in vain. The same things happen after reinstalls of firefox. When I open IE, I can still browse, but of course, it's very sluggish, and random popups appear. I've cleared every temp folder I could find on my computer, but crap will still continue to show up after I reconnect to the internet. I have NO IDEA what to do anymore. I've tried using hijack this, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, AVG, McAfee Virus Scan.

Please, anybody with any help will receive an E-hug. I'm desperate. Any suggestions, comments, questions, concerns would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
You have to be more specific. Exactly what popup or popups are appearing? That will get you an answer much more quickly than just vague info.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Also, post the names of the spyware and viruses that were discovered up 'til now.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
First you didn't say if you are running all your Scans in Safe Mode which you must do to get rid of problems.
Second, you should also run a good Anti Trojan Scan
Third, Post your Hijack This Log at the web site for an expert to have a look at it .... http://www.hijackthis.de/
And clear all the temp files in C:\Windows\Temp .. C:\Windows\Prefetch
C:\Docs & Settings\each user id\Local Settings\Temp .. and disable System Restore until the problem is gone.
As to internet sites not always loading, try running WINSOCKFIX