Very Strange Problem with ATI

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I just got an ATI 9700 Pro AIW, since I have installed this card and the drivers everytime I try to rip a DVD and convert it to DVD-R the program(s) hang.

I have been using Smart Ripper, IFO edit and Multi Copy to do this without a hitch using my Ti200 but since I installed this ATI the IFO Edit program and/or Multicopy hang without fail (Completely locks up the computer). I removed the card and re-installed my Ti200 and everything works fine. I also tried Using DVDShrink and it also hung.

While the 9700 was in I removed all the software other than the drivers, but still no luck, I also got the most up to date drivers.

Hell, I even did a complete reformat and reinstall of windows just to see if that helped.

any ideas?

Shuttle AN35n
Barton 2500+
Pioneer A106
Sony 24x12x40x
512 Crucial PC3200
SB Live
Linksys NIC
AIW9700 Pro
Antec True 430
Windows XP Pro

cindy22

Dec 1, 2003

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Thanks, but it doesn't seem to matter what DVD I try to rip...same thing....very frustrating because I have been wanting one of these cards for a very long time and now that I got one I am having problems....maybe I'll just stick to Nvidia

cindy22

Dec 1, 2003
you can find alot of people with similar problems like you using smartripper while they all have video cards from nvidia to ati

just type smartripper hangs in internet explorer then do some research in those forums as they all have same problems like you except with different cards and manufactors there, you would get morei nfo and help there than about that subject then here

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
It's not the smart ripper that hangs..that works finr.

it's the multi copy, or DVD shrink that hangs...everytime

I follow this guide here

when I get to the point of using Instantcopy if hangs.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I've had the same problems on 4 5900Us (nvidia request) running through a 2.2ghz xp.

Not had the problems on my 9800xts

don't know what the hell is wrong

rogo

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
well, *think* I narrowed it down. I believe the problem was my CPU was overheating. I am running a 2500+ @200fsb x 11. It has been pretty stable for a while now. But I took the HSF off and replaced the Arctic Silver and blew out the fins on the HSF...they were dirty but not too bad...I put everything back into place and my temps are a few degrees cooler than before I so far have managed to do 3 dvd's without a hitch. Before cleaning temps were 44 idle and 49 load...after cleaning 42 idle and 47 load when making a disk.

I am going to put the 9700 back in and see what happens.