Question Very slow boot time on new computer.

Shargrath

May 25, 2009
Hello,

I just upgraded the motherboard/cpu/ram on my computer. My old one was 7 years old. However, when I boot it up, it acts strange. First I get a black screen and the computer lights up with nothing on screen. Then it reboots itself, posts, I get the BIOS screen and then it goes into loading Windows. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However, the boot time on my old PC was about 10-20 seconds from pressing power button to Windows Desktop. On the new build with much faster components, it takes 45s-55s from pressing power button to Windows desktop.
My components seem to be installed correctly, everything works great after it boots, but I was wondering if its normal to take that long to boot into Windows 10?
My components are as follows,

Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 2
16GB DDR4 Ram.
Samsung SSD

If anyone has any tips, they would be very much appreciated. I tried some things suggested through google like turning off Legacy boot for UEFI and it did no difference in boot time.

Thank you.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I've never had an MSI motherboard, but on both my Asrock & Asus boards, they have an option for fast boot. I turn that on once I'm done with getting a good overclock. You could also have a USB device slowing you down. Unplug all but your keyboard & mouse, and see how the pc boots.

Reactions: Shargrath

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You said you upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 on your "old PC", so I'm guessing you didn't do a clean install with your new components?

That could be what the issue is.

Reactions: deustroop

Shargrath

May 25, 2009
RAM training issue? Not stable @ XMP settings? Is the RAM on the mobo QVL?

Sorry, I am not sure what any of those mean. I installed the ram according to the motherboard manual.

You said you upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 on your "old PC", so I'm guessing you didn't do a clean install with your new components?

That could be what the issue is.

It is a completely fresh install. When I moved the drive from the old PC to the new one, I formatted the SSD and installed 10 on it fresh. However, I also have a hard drive, but I am not using it to boot, so I dont know if that's the issue?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It is a completely fresh install. When I moved the drive from the old PC to the new one, I formatted the SSD and installed 10 on it fresh. However, I also have a hard drive, but I am not using it to boot, so I dont know if that's the issue?
From your description of the problem, it sounds like your UEFI is trying to load settings, failing in some regard, and then resetting to the default to boot. When you change some settings in the UEFI (such as going from legacy boot to UEFI only boot), it can cause boot issues.

I thought it might be a bootloader issue when you mentioned the OS update on your previous hardware, but maybe it is UEFI/BIOS setting (or maybe something even like a hard drive having issues). Try booting your PC with the additional hard drive unplugged, only one stick of RAM, etc. to see if that fixes the boot issue.

Reactions: Shargrath

Shargrath

May 25, 2009
From your description of the problem, it sounds like your UEFI is trying to load settings, failing in some regard, and then resetting to the default to boot. When you change some settings in the UEFI (such as going from legacy boot to UEFI only boot), it can cause boot issues.

I thought it might be a bootloader issue when you mentioned the OS update on your previous hardware, but maybe it is UEFI/BIOS setting (or maybe something even like a hard drive having issues). Try booting your PC with the additional hard drive unplugged, only one stick of RAM, etc. to see if that fixes the boot issue.

Got it, will do.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: UsandThem