Very low FPS after GPU upgrade?

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
I used to have a 8800gts 640mb, but it died on me. So I replaced it with a 9800 GT EE 1gb, which despite being energy efficient, should be at least as fast if not faster than my old 8800gts 640mb.
The performance was utterly horrible. Running Team Fortress 2 at 1280x800 at all LOW settings, I still had times when fps went down to the 10s, and it was very unresponsive and laggy. Back with my 8800gts, I was running it at 1440x900 at all high smoothly. Also, in the bad company 2 beta, I was getting around 18-ish FPS at all high settings before, but now running the actual game, even at all low settings and a lower resolution, I am getting fps in the single digits. Other games give similar poor results.
The strange thing is, when I ran 3dsmark 06, the score I got was satisfactory, and higher than my old 8800gts! I also tried the "Video Card Stability Test" program's benchmark, and the fps I got there was also reasonable. I am at a loss to explain why I get so low of an FPS with games. Any Ideas?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I used to have a 8800gts 640mb, but it died on me. So I replaced it with a 9800 GT EE 1gb, which despite being energy efficient, should be at least as fast if not faster than my old 8800gts 640mb.
The performance was utterly horrible. Running Team Fortress 2 at 1280x800 at all LOW settings, I still had times when fps went down to the 10s, and it was very unresponsive and laggy. Back with my 8800gts, I was running it at 1440x900 at all high smoothly. Also, in the bad company 2 beta, I was getting around 18-ish FPS at all high settings before, but now running the actual game, even at all low settings and a lower resolution, I am getting fps in the single digits. Other games give similar poor results.
The strange thing is, when I ran 3dsmark 06, the score I got was satisfactory, and higher than my old 8800gts! I also tried the "Video Card Stability Test" program's benchmark, and the fps I got there was also reasonable. I am at a loss to explain why I get so low of an FPS with games. Any Ideas?

Try uninstalling your drivers and then reinstalling the latest drivers that WERE NOT pulled for having a huge bug in fan control. I believe the driver version you want is 196.21.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Try uninstalling your drivers and then reinstalling the latest drivers that WERE NOT pulled for having a huge bug in fan control. I believe the driver version you want is 196.21.

Yes, I've uninstalled 196.75 the instant I knew about the problem. I am currently on the beta 196.34, but I shall try 196.21. I doubt it'll change much though, the performance on 196.75 and 196.34 was basically identical.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007

Try running the same benchmarks as in this review and see if you get similar results.
http://alienbabeltech.com/abt//viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20214&view=previous

If you do, your card is working properly it means the card just sucks since the weakened core and shaders put it below your old card. If it doesn't then run GPU-Z and post your results. Maybe not running at the right PCI-Express speed.

When running benchmarks make sure the resolution and the settings are the same. The numbers for the 9800GT EE here come from low or medium settings depending on the game.

Last edited:

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Try running the same benchmarks as in this review and see if you get similar results.
http://alienbabeltech.com/abt//viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20214&view=previous

If you do, your card is working properly it means the card just sucks since the weakened core and shaders put it below your old card. If it doesn't then run GPU-Z and post your results. Maybe not running at the right PCI-Express speed.

When running benchmarks make sure the resolution and the settings are the same. The numbers for the 9800GT EE here come from low or medium settings depending on the game.

Which benchmark? I ran 3dsmark06 already, and got 4000~ on SM3 and SM2, which is around expected. I also ran the Video Card Stability Test benchmark and got around 470fps. Otherwise, I don't know what other benchmark to run.

Edit: Here is gpu-z
gpu.png

Last edited:

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Which benchmark? I ran 3dsmark06 already, and got 4000~ on SM3 and SM2, which is around expected. I also ran the Video Card Stability Test benchmark and got around 470fps. Otherwise, I don't know what other benchmark to run.

Edit: Here is gpu-z
gpu.png

The game ones in the review will be the most informative. Try Far Cry 2, Crysis, HawX, etc... in that review if you have them. Also wouldn't hurt to try download and try the Ungine benchmark.