Very hot: Intel QX-3 digital microscope $50 at Microcenter

Kwad Guy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
I was at my local MicroCenter today, and they had the Intel
QX-3 digital microscope for $50. It looked like a closeout, limited
to stock on hand, but I am not sure about that...Lowest price on
Pricegrabber is around $85, and you get to pay shipping on top of that.

Actually, they had QX-3 microscopes in two different boxes. The
contents are identical, but the sizes of the boxes (and graphics)
are a bit different. The ones marked at $50 were the slightly
narrower boxes. These list compatibility as Win98. The other boxes
list compatibility as Win9x, WinMe, Win2K. I am not sure if the
bigger boxed ones are marked down or not, but the only difference,
if there is a difference, would be the install/driver disc.

Intel has a Win2K/WinXP compatible install disc. The annoying thing
is that you can't just download the install, you have to request the
disc (for free) and Intel will send it to you...

Does anyone already have the WinXP compatible disc who'd be
willing to let me download
it from somewhere? (This isn't a matter of money--the disc is free
and worthless unless you buy their microscrope anyway--it's a
matter of not wanting to wait for the disc to arrive).
If so, let me know by PM.

Kwad

joemi

Aug 2, 2001
I've ordered the disc almost 2 weeks ago, so should have it soon, as soon as it arrives I will post here....

beekeeper

Jan 13, 2001
The QX-3 are great fun. I read somewhere that Intel is going to get out of the toy business so if you want one of these now is the time to get it.

Askalon

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Would anyone be able to pick me up a couple and ship them to me? Would Toys-R-Us have them or anyplace else? My Mother-in-law is a bio teacher. This would be fun for when she comes over this summer.

Kwad Guy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
They're readily available at lots of places, including ToysRUs
(well, last time I looked they were available at ToysRUs online, anyway).
The thing about the MicroCenter deal is a better price. But if you
just want them, they're available at lots of places for $90-100.

Kwad

victor

Dec 21, 1999
here in Montreal I can buy them for 79.99$CAD regular price. In sale they r even cheaper.
:) vic

BillRubin

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2001
Is this the QX3 or QX3+ that is on sale? Not that it really matters, since the only difference is the software and the upgrade CD supposedly gives you that. But that would explain the different packaging mentioned earlier.

At one pont there was a rebate on the QX3, I don't know if it's still valid. "In the good old days", there was a $45 off $95 coupon for some online store (Vstore I think) and I was able to buy this for $50, then I found the rebate coupon so I did even better :).

Bill

ktg

May 2, 2000
yeah, I got this for $50 two years ago from some place like MyFamily.com. A lot of fun for the money. Surprises me that Intel has not made any obvious upgrade in the hardware portion of the product in two years, though....

BillRubin

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2001
Yes, that was it, MyFamily. Anyway, turns out mine died (conveniently, just when my kids decided that they actually wanted to use it, after not doing so for a year), it would not be recognized by Windows (actually, it was, as an unknown device). I went back and forth with tech support and they agreed it was dead and issued an RMA to replace it for me, which was nice since it was a year and a half old (although there does not seem to be any written warranty length that I can find). Anyway, I sent mine in, and a few days go by and no word on the shipment of the replacement I sent a note to their RMA person asking where mine was. She said it had not been checked in yet, so I gave her the tracking number and she agreed to release the replacement, and I received it. A week or two later, I got another one, so now I have 2 barrels but only one base. If I thought that both of my kids would want to use it, I'd buy an extra base for $20 just to have. Probably worth doing anyway, that way I can give it to a school if I want.

Bill

joemi

Aug 2, 2001
Hey What'dya know.. the CD came today.
For those that need the 2000/XP Drivers PM me.

Cubexco

May 24, 2000
The difference between QX3 & QX3+ is, the '+' version comes with the Win2k & XP software and a couple of clips to hold the slides firmly in place. Intel sells the clips for $3.50. Have not ordered them to check if they fit the regular QX3. I bought the QX3 from MicroCenter last month at $44, ordered the Intel CD online and recieved it within 1 week!
So far, I have been happy with the scope!

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
I just spotted these at Fry's PA for the same price. They're between the slim jim's and the Pakistani girl on the stool by the checkouts. =p