Vertical stacked monitors. Why?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Just wondering if anyone does this, and if so, why? Just curious as to what you find the benefit to be. Example:

DPvMz5t.jpg

MiRai

Dec 3, 2010
Vertical is portrait, horizontal is landscape, and I used to do it because I liked it. However, I do question those who stack a second horizontal monitor higher up (similar to your image) since that tends to cause some major neck strain.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I could think of a couple reasons in the past.

But I wouldn't do it these days, and never tried it myself.

cen1

Apr 25, 2013
I could see the top monitor being used for less important tasks but looking at it for longer periods is probably painful.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
That could be useful I guess if you're say a day trader and need to look at lots of continuously updated information simultaneously. I'd still rather use 3 or 4 monitors in a row though because it's a lot easier/faster to look side to side than it is to look up. The only reason the person in that pic seems to be doing it is because they ran out of desk space for the third monitor.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I've got an Asus Swift on "bottom" and a 65" Samsung 4k TV above it. The top one is difficult to use so I hardly ever turn it on.

Oddbrother

Sep 1, 2015
Because it makes me feel like I'm being watched by Big Brother as I work.

Oh boy, I can imagine a screensaver of that now.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
Because there is less distance from the farthest corners of your monitors if you stack vertical. If you use your monitors for reading and you place three side by side, it is almost impossible to read text on the left side of the leftmost monitor and the right side of the rightmost monitor without moving your chair. A two verticle and two verticle setup on the other hand is readable.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I have a friend who does lots of music editing - semiprofessional mix artist. He has a stacked rig like that, says it is much easier to look at tracks above/below versus side-by-side.

eDJbcn

Jul 1, 2020
496d33b4-0247-4699-8a17-c7fef01a8268.jpg

Hello,

I have a problem with this configuration, and since I have read that you are talking about this topic, I want to ask you.

I have a Radeos RX 580 Series and it only configures me horizontally. There is no way to do it vertically (with Windows yes, but by putting 3 screens I do not know why Radeon deactivates it and does not let me configure it in Windows).

I have searched for information, even running a CCC.exe program but there is no way to configure it vertically and horizontally.

Do you know if there is a way to do it? Thank you!!

potato masher

May 15, 2019
I do it. Try it. Everybody's neck is different.

I find it works for glance type stuff. Like look up look down, look up look look down. Like working with two documents.

If its a doc I have to look at for longer than that, why would I have it on top anyway? I'd have it on the bottom.

For non interactive stuff where you don't need hands on the keyboard, just lean back in your chair and your angle should be perfect for movies or whatever up top. I have noticed that certain monitors have to be flipped upside down for normal brightness when looking at an upward angle. But that is simple fix.

Last edited:

random011

Jul 29, 2020
I have mine setup like that too. Simply put, most of the time I don't need a second monitor, and when I do, it's for quick glances, nothing major. Vertically stacked monitors reduces the space occupied + how much you need to move you head to look at the second one, so it's a win win for me.

To be completely honest, with a most things you don't really need more than 1 monitor, just buy a mouse with lots of keys like the g600, create some macros (maybe add a productivity app or two) and you will never need that extra or multiple extra monitors.

I have a bunch of HDMI switches, so the way my setup actually works is my bottom monitor is reserved for me main PC and gaming consoles, and the top monitor is reseved for my main PC (2nd monitor), my secondary computer (surface pro 7 fanless - really good since you can completely close it and use it as a very lightweight fanless PC), which runs automated tasks and such, and lastly my tablet, which displays all my emails, weather, news, alarms, play music out loud etc all on the same screen. (to fully achieve proper screen mirroring you need an app called Second Screen on Android to force whatever resolution you want so that the display is completely filled).

Most of the time, my bottom monitor is reserved for my main PC, and the top one is reserved for my tablet so I can see and instantly react to everything that's happening.

My monitors are 24 inches (I wouldn't go any bigger for any multi-monitor setup)
Also, my bottom monitor is connected to an arm, which allows it be sitting directly on the desk. The top monitor is connected to one of those tall monitor stands that i bought off amazon.

So there is my explanation...

{also, of course with all these HDMI switches, I have a bunch of keyboard and mouse switches - the same keyboard and mouse can be used on everything (yes even the gaming consoles). For the tablet I don't have them connected, instead there is a second mouse using Bluetooth for connectivity - this way I don't have to switch input if I have to use my tablet}

Last edited: