Vertex firmware dead, should I replace it?

Eej

Jan 3, 2011
Woke up one morning to find one of my computers stuck at a failed boot screen. My Vertex 60gb shows up at BIOS with jumper set to engineering mode, which means it can be destructively flashed to work again.

My question is whether Vertexes (Vertices) are known for just up and dying or is it an older firmware (I stopped updating at 1.4FW) or manufacturing defect. I know a lot of people have trouble with OCZ drives and there's a new Intel around the corner with the current Intels being way cheaper than before. I don't know how the Sandforces are for reliability. I'm not concerned with maximum performance, just fast enough to be snappy and reliable so I don't have to worry about backing up the contents of my system drive regularly.

Also I don't feel very confident using a drive that had already decided to poop out on me once.

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Reading forum posts about failed drives doesn't prove that they fail a lot. How many users make a post to report a drive that works perfectly?

I'd suggest you head over to the OCZ forums. They have a very active community that is generally pretty helpful.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Reading forum posts about failed drives doesn't prove that they fail a lot. How many users make a post to report a drive that works perfectly?

I'd suggest you head over to the OCZ forums. They have a very active community that is generally pretty helpful

this definately.

also flash forward to 1.5 or better(it will wipe the drive though) as it enables features like trim in win7, better gc etc