Vertex 2 Problems

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
I bought a Vertex 2 60GB drive in November of last year, and I upgraded the firmware from 1.1x (can't remember what it was, going off memory here) to 1.24 (again, going off memory). The firmware update caused a minor issue in that it struck the SSD off the boot sequence in the BIOS, so that when I next turned the computer on it wouldn't boot. I recognized this, having read a few reports where this occurred, and corrected this. The SSD was fine after that.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. On the release of the 1.33 firmware I upgraded again, and everything seemed fine and dandy. Phew, I thought. Even though the fix for the first update issue was simple, it was still inconvenient and could have been done without. So I went on using my computer.

Today I come home, sit down, and start using my computer. Browsing the web, doing some word processing, listening to music. That kind of thing. Suddenly, out of the blue, shit starts hitting the fan. When I try to save my work, Word freezes. The audio is still playing, but when I try Alt+Tab to iTunes that has frozen too. Opera has frozen, and Windows Explorer has also. Ctrl+Shift+Esc brings up Task manager. I find out that in the Applications tab all these applications are marked Not Responding. So I try terminate them in the Processes tab, before Task Manager, too, stops responding. By this time I can still move my mouse around, but all other input has ceased functioning.

I decide that a hard reset will fix this problem. It doesn't. Up to the Windows login screen everything is fine, apart from that screen about Windows not shutting down properly the first time. Once I login, however, we are back to the same situation. Nothing is working, and all I can do is move the mouse.

I restart the computer again, and it seems as if the OCZ Vertex 2 is no longer detectable in the BIOS. AHCI port 1 is the optical drive. Ports 3 and 4 are my WD Blue 640GB hard drives. However, AHCI Port 2 is conspicuously blank. So at the moment I'm kind of wondering whether the firmware update has surreptitiously and after hiding in the works come out and done a spanner.

I should mention that I had made a backup before the firmware update, and I still have it on my hard drive (from memory). So data and recovery shouldn't be a problem...as long as I can get my SSD working again. I should also mention that I had finished running MSE and Malwarebytes Antimalware scans just that morning; in fact, I'd left the computer on while I was gone during the day for just this purpose. And the scans were clean.

Can anyone shed any insight on this matter for me, or should I try contact OCZ customer support about a refund/replacement?

TLDR:
Firmware update
Weeks later drive dies
WTF do I do?!

EDIT: I tried restarting the computer again, and the SSD magically reappeared. However, I'm not so sure it's the SSD's problem now, after a couple of BSODs after logging in:

2011-05-03185153.jpg

2011-05-03185801.jpg

I'm running Memtest86+ on it now, and leaving it to run overnight, seeing as there's not much else it can do in any case. If anything comes up I'll post it up.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
On my Vertex 2, if you see both a red+green LED on, then the SSD is toast, and you must RMA it.
BIOS won't see it, and not much you can do but fork over some $$$ to ship it back to OCZ.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Memtest was clean over 14 runs.

I was told on another forum that a manual garbage collection and chkdsk /f /r might solve the problem. Only, I can't boot into safe mode and I can't really be arsed making a partition on my existing hard drives and installing an OS to run these; if there's a good chance they'll help, I'll do them. Otherwise I'll see what OCZ customer support have to say about this when I get back from uni.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Memtest was clean over 14 runs.

I was told on another forum that a manual garbage collection and chkdsk /f /r might solve the problem. Only, I can't boot into safe mode and I can't really be arsed making a partition on my existing hard drives and installing an OS to run these; if there's a good chance they'll help, I'll do them. Otherwise I'll see what OCZ customer support have to say about this when I get back from uni.

If you have access to another computer (a friend's, perhaps), you might be able to run some diagnostics on the drive or reformat it. I now flash my OCZ drive from another computer so as not to run into the same problem you described above about the BIOS settings. It's also a good way to look at the drive's configuration if it's not booting.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I was told on another forum that a manual garbage collection and chkdsk /f /r might solve the problem. Only, I can't boot into safe mode and I can't really be arsed making a partition on my existing hard drives and installing an OS to run these;
Did you even bother to read my link?

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
I believe I am having the same exact problems right now with a Corsair f80. Shite.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Did you even bother to read my link?
Yup. But I got said advice before you posted, so I only read it after. Doesn't really help much, though :( I don't have access to another computer at the moment, so that's out for the time being.

R.Danneskjold

May 5, 2011
That's about the same as what happened to my first Core series SSD from OCZ. At the time, the drive cost a shitload of money and destroyed two installations of Windows and OS X respectively, before I ritually sacrificed the drive to Satan. You could try that or get a replacement. When any system errors occur, assume it's the SSD and save lots of time. :thumbsup:

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I had the same (or very similar) problem. It was working fine up until a certain point in time and it would randomly freeze in Windows and cause BSODs. The computer wasn't frozen as I could still move the mouse cursor.

If I put it in another PC, even with a live Linux CD, it would freeze. I got it working in a computer long enough to copy off the data and run a Secure Erase with the OCZ Toolbox. I haven't trusted it with any valuable information yet, but it's been running fine for the last 2 months.

I hadn't RMA'd the drive as I have a 34nm version and fear getting a 25nm one. But I guess it's better having a (possibly) more reliable drive instead of a faster one.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I updated my Vertex 2 firmware like in February. I kind of freaked out about it and took a bunch of precautions. I don't think I will mess with it anymore.