Vermont offering $10k for new telework residents

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Seems like the combination of a state that's very white (~95%), very old, very cold, and very liberal isn't all that appealing as a residence for many. Considering its largest city Burlington is 870th in the U.S. in terms of population means that it will need to appeal to those seeking a more (ahem) rustic lifestyle. Which seems to beg the question of why VT isn't being colonized by hardcore progressives who could effectively dominate the state and implement all their most longed for goals, everything from universal healthcare to $15/hour minimum wage to outlawing fossil fuels?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...here-and-work-remotely/ar-AAy3xhH?ocid=ientp2

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I'd gladly take my Boston paycheck to Vermont. I love it there.

Will seriously consider in a year or two if I don't take a possible assignment in Germany, thanks OP!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Seems like the combination of a state that's very white (~95%), very old, very cold, and very liberal isn't all that appealing as a residence for many. Considering its largest city Burlington is 870th in the U.S. in terms of population means that it will need to appeal to those seeking a more (ahem) rustic lifestyle. Which seems to beg the question of why VT isn't being colonized by hardcore progressives who could effectively dominate the state and implement all their most longed for goals, everything from universal healthcare to $15/hour minimum wage to outlawing fossil fuels?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...here-and-work-remotely/ar-AAy3xhH?ocid=ientp2

You answered your own question - it's biggest city is 870th in population.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

You're an excessively weird person who doesn't seem to have the slightest clue about how people actually live their lives. In other words, a conservative.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
You're an excessively weird person who doesn't seem to have the slightest clue about how people actually live their lives. In other words, a conservative.

I see someone who doesn't get out from behind their computer very often and can only rage from the keyboard... The indoor version of the old man on porch yelling at clouds...

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Plus most folks tend to pick warmer places after 50 years of shoveling ice and snow.

Also;

According to this year's state population estimate, Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming all lost population between 2016 and 2017.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They get hit by nor'easters, right? Gonna take a lot more than $10k to get my interest.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Quick show of hands, how many ATers are 100% remote/agile workers?

**Raises hand**

The problem with Vermont's proposal, as I see it, is that most remote workers want to be close to a major airport (within an hour drive, ideally less) as we typically have to travel more often. Boston Logan isn't exactly close to most Vermonters...and not sure that Albany has the requisite flights.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Vermont is like the taint. Too close to the Massholes.

You're thinking of Rhode Island. VT is great. Incredible food and beer, you get the best of both seasons, close to Montreal, they respect women and children's education, it's clean, and I can (and do) have all the guns I want. Burlington is a fun town, reminds me of a smaller version of Austin in some ways. They do need help with the BBQ though, also Korean restaurants.

I've sampled many states, all over the east coast, south and mid-west. I'll take VT over all of them thank you (I like Colorado and Maine though as well).

Reactions: ch33zw1z

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You're thinking of Rhode Island. VT is great. Incredible food and beer, you get the best of both seasons, close to Montreal, they respect women and children's education, it's clean, and I can (and do) have all the guns I want. Burlington is a fun town, reminds me of a smaller version of Austin in some ways. They do need help with the BBQ though, also Korean restaurants.

I've sampled many states, all over the east coast, south and mid-west. I'll take VT over all of them thank you (I like Colorado and Maine though as well).

Trying to convince my wife to move to VT, but she hated the MI winter we just had and doesn't want to go any further north or east.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Trying to convince my wife to move to VT, but she hated the MI winter we just had and doesn't want to go any further north or east.

Tell her VT had a day last January where it hit 65. The winters up here aren't like the winters I had as a kid in Maine, and I'm almost at exactly the same latitude. Elevation, location relative to major air systems and proximity to large bodies of water (waves at Buffalo) plays a roll in what kind of winter you'll get too though, it's not all about latitude.

I'm a MI native btw, born in Detroit. You should swing by and have a visit, see for yourselves.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Meh, let global warming do is magic and I'll think about it in a few decades

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

PSA. I don't care if I'm an arrogant prick but I have this to say:

Begging the question is not the same as raising the question.

That is all.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, the liberal hellscape of 2.8% unemployment. Lol.

Did you even try to research this before posting?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I love Vermont, but unfortunately can't work remotely. I don't know if I could handle the weather there, but I'd give it a shot if I could.