verizon vs. cingular

jhill1

Sep 5, 2006
just wanted to get some input on what providers you guys got, and hows your service. seems that verizon was on top forever, but as soon as at&t and cingular merged they've come out on top.

currently i got verzon and im happy as can be with them (i work at cingular :Q)

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
I love cingular. They have service everywhere that I am, so no complaints.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
its like picking a venerial disease.
go with what generally offers the best signal in your area and see what your friends are using.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
verizon has no coverage at my house, so when i have the on-call cell phone from work, it doesn't ever ring :evil:

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Cingular... I am in the NY/NJ area. I cannot complain, and the service has gotten way better ever since the merger.

But i am concerned that you work for Cingular yet have VZN service... You must get great discounts on rate plans and equipment if you WORK for Cingular, yet you arent taking advantage of them. HMMMMM

jhill1

Sep 5, 2006
the only reason i got verizon is because i work for a private company thats an authorized retailer, not an corporate store, so i get absolutely no discounts!

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I think Verizon is better in the MD/PA area. I have a Cingular Blackberry fo work and a Verizon cell for personal use.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I have Verizon and the service is fine, it just pisses me off at how many of their phones' cool features they disable (Bluetooth\USB file transfers for one).

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
It depends on where you live.

Seriously, this isn't like a Coke vs. Pepsi thing where it's basically personal preference. Verizon is better than Cingular in some places. Cingular is better than Verizon in some places. I'm sure they're both craptacular in other places, and there are places where they work out great. I live in the DC-Metro area and Verizon is the bee's knees for me.

Fanbois... :roll:

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003
I could never bring myself to work with Cingular again.

We moved from NY to VA due to military orders, and the area we moved to doesn't have "proper" coverage. (We couldn't get a signal with our Motorola V551 standing outside, much less inside the house.) We got things worked out and ended our service with one phone call with Cingular, but we continued to receive bills for months. We called back after each bill and got it resolved, but we would get another one next month, saying that we never paid our last bill. Finally we got a bill for over $400, threatening to end our services and hit us up with an additional $400 contract termination charge. We called them back and got it fixed, again. Next month, another bill, but the slate had been wiped clean so the bill was only for a standard month of service. We finally got this straightened out in August, when we moved to Virginia and canceled our services for the first time in November of last year. :roll:

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
It's my understanding that Cingular is currently the largest but that Verizon is catching them every quarter as far as number of subscribers. They are basically the same so choose whatever phone you like and whatever coverage is best in your area. I chose Verizon b/c most of my friends and family are on it so i get free mobile 2 mobile.

laketrout

Mar 1, 2005
I switch from Cingular to Verizon and don't regret it one bit. Had Cingular for about 6 years and I wasn't happy. Switched to Verizon and the coverage is so much better, at least in the DC area where I live, but I also travel quite a bit to other large cities and its great.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
Had VZW, went to Cingular. I am very happy with Cingular. Reception around Western PA / Eastern Ohio is about 1000x better with Cingular.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I have Cingular for years, back when they were ATT Wireless. They are ok and they give me 500 extra anytime minutes on top of the regular stuffs when my contract expired, and I didn't have to sign any contract extension.

Like others said, go with the company that best for you based on your location, friends, phone features. I think they are 50/50.

Edit: One thing I like about Cingular is their rollover minutes. You can keep the minutes that you didn't use for 1 year before they expired.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
Originally posted by: FoBoT
verizon has no coverage at my house, so when i have the on-call cell phone from work, it doesn't ever ring :evil:
I have verizon. I have a cell tower ~1/4 from my house so I get excellent reception everyrwhere in my neighborhood. The only complaint I have is that verizon customer service sux out loud. If you have lot's of problems with phones... get cingular. If you can figure out most problems yourself, go ahead and get verizon. IMO, they have the better coverage (I have used both)