Verizon to Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Who Use More than 100GB/Month [Updated]

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
I wonder if this rumor will come to pass.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/20/verizon-unlimited-data-rip-tetherers/

According to sources of ours, Verizon is working on an Unlimited Data Plan Migration for the highest unlimited data users on their network. Starting tomorrow, July 21, Verizon will begin notifying users who have been flagged as using that “extraordinary” amount via mailer and through bill messages and explain to them their options to stay with Big Red.
Edit: The cutoff is 100GB.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...mited-data-customers-who-use-over-100gbmonth/

Verizon Wireless customers who have held on to unlimited data plans and use significantly more than 100GB a month will be disconnected from the network on August 31 unless they agree to move to limited data packages that require payment of overage fees.

Last edited:

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Average around 300gb/mo on my line. Wonder what "extraordinary" is. I'm under contract until at least Nov 2017 tho, and have avoided the price hikes thus far.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
limited unlimited.

that's.... something.

they should put a limit on their "unlimited" plan.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
We all knew it wasn't going to last forever. Glad I sold my plan before the price hikes and disconnects.
I can't wait for the tightwad rage to begin.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Verizon is in a world of hurt when they generate the next billing cycle for all those Pokemon GO players. I just know that tmobile is going to exploit this somehow and rub it in Verizon's/ATT face on their next ad campaign.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Almost all verizon customers with unlimited data are no longer under contract.

Contracts work both ways, they protect the user but also the business.

Think as analogy the difference between renting a house and leasing a house.

With leasing you are guaranteed an X amount of time like 6 months or a few years for you have a contract. With renting by contrast the person who owns the house can decide he does not like you as a tenant and gives you notice to find a new home for he no longer wants you to live on his property even though you were paying rent previously. Or if another person offers a higher amount of rent he can switch tenants. (Each city and state have their own rules on how much notice the owner of the housing has to give a tenant prior to letting the person go.)

Verizon still wants "normal people" business, but if you use an obscene amount of data that degrades the user experience for others (only during peak usage time) and verizon is not making more money servicing you, do not be surprised if Verizon decides to let you go.

Verizon is in a world of hurt when they generate the next billing cycle for all those Pokemon GO players. I just know that tmobile is going to exploit this somehow and rub it in Verizon's/ATT face on their next ad campaign.

Pokemon go only uses 20mb an hour when you are actively using pokemon go. So lets assume you play the game 5 hours a day, well that is a 100mb a day and 3 gbs a month. And that number is for someone who plays the game an insane amount per day.

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-much-mobile-data-does-pokemon-go-use

Last edited:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Average around 300gb/mo on my line. Wonder what "extraordinary" is. I'm under contract until at least Nov 2017 tho, and have avoided the price hikes thus far.

I would say 300 gb/month fits right into the extraordinary category considering most people are limited to something around 1/100th of that.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That's a crap ton of data to use on a mobile network.

I'm not up on US plans, are you officially allowed to tether and how many devices is that shared with?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

you would fall into the category of "extraordinary"

im under that on my house connection most months

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

T-mobile's Tuesday thing included an offer for unlimited data to Pokemon Go.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
id wager anything that is 2x the highest plan they offer is going to be in the excessive category

which is what 50gb/mo?

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Pokemon Go only uses about 20MB an hour. This is actually rather low for something that gets people to actually use their legs.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
I may have an excuse to start buying Wink compatible products.
I have no wifi at home because I have unlimited data with tethering. I've been itching for home automation. I travel a ton both for work and leisure so unlimited data has been absolutely fantastic. I am quite sure I am on their list LOL.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I'd be fine if I could work a deal with Verizon to be my home isp through LTE. Limit me to like 25mbps during peak times, maybe a daily GB cap during those times, and have unlimited speed/data during off peak. Similar to how they used to do it with minutes until they became worthless. And pay a competitive price to other isp's internet service.

Bottom line is VZW is by far the best internet available to me. The competition is absolutely laughable. Know I use a lot of data, but there's no way I'm impacting other customers "service." During peak hours I still get over 100mbps down. Live in a small town.

That's a crap ton of data to use on a mobile network.

I'm not up on US plans, are you officially allowed to tether and how many devices is that shared with?
Believe there were terms for VZW with the FCC about unlimited, throttling and their bands, so they couldn't really restrict it. You can still officially purchase hotspot for $30/mo with an unlimited plan on vzw. In any case, have never heard of someone getting booted for tethering, and I've been doing it for 6 years without a single complaint.

Other carriers that still offer unlimited have their own terms.

id wager anything that is 2x the highest plan they offer is going to be in the excessive category

which is what 50gb/mo?

They offer 100gb on the website, for the low low price of $450/mo.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
so seeing as I use under 100GB a month and am on unlimited

im basically getting a 450$ plan for 35$

#winning

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I pull at most, about 8gb through my cellular connection. A good 200-300gb/mo on my home connection. Grande is uncapped, but I'm sure they'd drop me if I did terabytes a month.

I don't see how people pull so much data on a phone. Hell, I have a Windows 10 tablet on my cellular plan, and I don't even manage to use a lot of data on that line!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I pull at most, about 8gb through my cellular connection. A good 200-300gb/mo on my home connection. Grande is uncapped, but I'm sure they'd drop me if I did terabytes a month.

I don't see how people pull so much data on a phone. Hell, I have a Windows 10 tablet on my cellular plan, and I don't even manage to use a lot of data on that line!

Downloading. Streaming HD media and using it as you main connection for your house (tethering)

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
So there's no option to just promise to keep below 100gb, or a hard cap? Is it going over 100gb consistently, once, a few times that gives you the boot? What if you exceed it onc e post this announcement, you're done?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You are done once you break the new limit, but this can only apply if you are not on contract. Month-to-month doesn't guarantee rates.