Verizon Promises Speeds up to 40 Gbps With Next-Gen FiOS

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Promises-Speeds-up-to-40-Gbps-With-NextGen-FiOS-139641

...The speed it offers will help telcos that have shifted to fiber to the home keep pace with cable DOCSIS 3.1 "full duplex" upgrades (or vice versa). NG-PON 2 will also provide backhaul and fronthaul support for 5G deployments.

"As we were looking at NG-PON2, we have a technology that gets us up to 10/10 Gbps all the way to a system capacity on the fiber or 40/40 Gbps or potentially higher as you go to 8 channels," O'Byrne said. “What concerned us as we went from BPON to GPON is it was a forklift upgrade where we had to deploy new optical line terminals (OLTs) in every CO and different wavelengths."...

...NG-PON 2 will not only be a unified upgrade path, but will be interoperable from the start -- allowing Verizon to broaden its hardware selection...

Exciting to see the biggest fish in the fiber pond to set their eyes on NG-PON2. The fact they want to leverage it for their backhaul and fronthaul for their 5G deployment should assure at least decent deployment density in areas already covered by their existing GPON network sooner rather than later.

Obviously residential customers have little to no need for speeds like these yet, but it's good to see the networks and technologies being built to support it.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Thanks for that link.

I found a more general article about NGPON-2 on that same website, from March this year:
https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/NGPON2-Ready-for-Prime-Time-139104

"Past customer pressure on vendors at all levels of the food chain to reduce prices of GPON components -- especially for ONTs -- left little or no profit margin. Having been burned on GPON, component and sub-system manufacturers hesitated to invest in the R&D necessary to develop the next generation."

"Industry estimates placed the cost per customer of NG-PON2 at 8 to 10 times the cost of GPON."

2.5 Gbps or 10Gbps per subscriber (residential user). That's a lot. I think backbone links are approaching 1 Tbps links. That means just only 100 subscribers could saturate a backbone link together. Lucky for the ISPs:

"Measurement of live traffic on residential GPON deployments continues to show very light utilization."

Still, if the bandwidth is there, people will find ways to use it. It looks to me that ISPs will be upgrading their backbones for another decade at least.

Now, if somebody would be so kind to dig a fibre-cable to my house .... That would allow me to upgrade my speed (DSL) from 6.1Mbps to a decent 2.5Gbps. :) Maybe in 10-20 years.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would be happy if Verizon would even offer their 1Gbit/sec symmetric service at my CO.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
As far as I know, Verizon and FIOS is not available in Apex, North Carolina .. But Verizon business is (I think) but not for homes. Right now we have AT&T U-Verse service, there is also Time Warner Cable

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
As if 10Gb backhaul equipment isn't too expensive for consumers already. ;)
Pretty sad when your router/firewall needs more CPU than your Crysis rig! ;)

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
As if 10Gb backhaul equipment isn't too expensive for consumers already. ;)
Pretty sad when your router/firewall needs more CPU than your Crysis rig! ;)
Well yeah, main use currently would be for backbone bandwidth, as well as for enterprise, and government customers. Verizon acknowledges they didn't particularly see a need for residential 1gbps service either, but that hasn't stopped them from upgrading most of their network in the North east to allow it and then making it $69.99 a month for new customers.

The biggest use in the short term will most likely be for providing backbone for their 5g network.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
The article the OP linked was specifically about NG-PO2. That's a technology to deliver cheap fiber to many locations. The idea is that you have one fiber-link to a certain area, and then have a passive device in the area that "splits" the bandwidth to multiple locations close(r) to that passive device.

Using this for backbone connections makes no sense at all.
For backbone connections you can just use regular point-to-point fiber.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The article the OP linked was specifically about NG-PO2. That's a technology to deliver cheap fiber to many locations. The idea is that you have one fiber-link to a certain area, and then have a passive device in the area that "splits" the bandwidth to multiple locations close(r) to that passive device.

Using this for backbone connections makes no sense at all.
For backbone connections you can just use regular point-to-point fiber.

You obviously don't know how the 5G wireless tech will function.

5G wireless will have terrible range, so the idea is to create micro cell sites hooked up to fiber that are far more common than previous cellular towers which would cover a much larger area.

NG-PON2 should be perfect for 5G backhaul.

http://www.lightreading.com/gigabit/fttx/verizon-proves-ng-pon2-interoperability/d/d-id/729487
In particular, NG-PON2 is believed to be an important foundation for the future growth of 5G wireless technologies. One of the major use cases cited for the PON upgrade is the ability to provide both backhaul and fronthaul support for 5G deployments.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Ah, good point.
I hadn't considered that. I'm not much into wireless, I like wires. :) (It seems I'm the last one in the world).

Also, I would call that a back-haul network. Not a backbone. But your usage of "providing backbone for their 5g network" is very correct, and I am too sloppy when reading.