Verizon Online you suck

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Since I knew I was moving this weekend, I had a new phone line activated 2.5 weeks ago so I would have the 2 week time to allow for DSL connection. Turns out I call Verizon today to check the progress at which they informed me my new number had the DSL installation completed on the 24th.

Sweet I said to myself, I can get on the internet when all is unpacked at the new place. Boy was I wrong. They installed the DSL for my new phone number at my old address. How in the hell can I have DSL installed twice at one place? Forty-one minutes later I had requested that both accounts be cancelled as I would shop elsewhere. She puts me on hold and says she will get in touch with the retention department. I thought, sweet I can get some sort of nice retention plan since I have been a Verizon DSL subscriber for two years now. Once again I was wrong. Five minutes later the original CS Rep helping me got on the phone, said service was cancelled, gave me a confirmation number, and hung up.

What a mess this is. Now I am stuck on dial up on only my laptop as my desktop does not have a modem. When Monday comes around I will call Verizon again and talk to upper management.

y00ycdz

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2001
I dunno, I keep hearing good things about Verizon, but then again everyone or all companies, have their good days and their bad days... Probably a dumb mistake by a new trainee or something, to have it installed at your old address (when it had DSL already, lol) ... At least I hear from ppl that their wireless service rocks.. I can't believe my family (family plan) went with Cingular, blegh, I much rather have Verizon.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: y00ycdz
I dunno, I keep hearing good things about Verizon, but then again everyone or all companies, have their good days and their bad days... Probably a dumb mistake by a new trainee or something, to have it installed at your old address (when it had DSL already, lol) ... At least I hear from ppl that their wireless service rocks.. I can't believe my family (family plan) went with Cingular, blegh, I much rather have Verizon.
Their wireless service sucks around here.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
2 weeks to get DSL?!?!??! Mine was the fastest install I know of, and the only reason it took "only" 8 months was because after the first few times they got it wrong I just went and hooked it up myself.

I would put good money on the story about it being installed at your old address is crap. In fact if they came to hook it up there, you would have known about it.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
I have verizon for local calls, verizon for dsl, and verizon for cellular. (no veriations package...since i think its cheaper this way without long distance).

Stellar quality and service in all aspects. The cell and dsl prices have been dropping, features and speed have gone up....:)

DSL-wise, its up 24/7...no outages, no lag. Playing CS constantly, 5-6 hours a day, while family members download or browse....verizon has been very good. Have downloaded hundreds of gigabytes of stuff over the years (....looks at 300 divx moves....)...all for 34.99 a month. Incredible.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Get all your Verizon business done before they strike or you'll be screwed...

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Kevin
Decided to cancel all of their services. I still have a phone (landline) through them, but I will be cancelling that next week. Don't plan on ever dealing with them again.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: Kevin
Decided to cancel all of their services. I still have a phone (landline) through them, but I will be cancelling that next week. Don't plan on ever dealing with them again.

Go cable man ;)
I ordered Verizon DSL as my first choice when broadband was rolling out.
It took them over 1 month to get anyone out. Even then they couldn't set it up.
When they finally did, The line was bad or something.

Cancelled, called MSN DSL, had someone out within the week. Funny thing is another Verizon guy came out to setup the cables and such. Like 2 hours before the MSN DSL guy showed up.
All he did was plug in the modem and it was a go.

1.5mb/128k :)
Unfortunately they stopped it, and I went with Cable.

haven't looked back since. ^_^

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: isekii
Go cable man ;)
Exactly what I did. Digital cable with 3 premium channels plus cable modem service will be installed next week.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Go cable man ;)
Exactly what I did. Digital cable with 3 premium channels plus cable modem service will be installed next week.

If you're line is already setup, cable companies let you pick up the stuff and install it yourself.
That's what I did.
Got it running within 30 min of ordering.
Atleast the Internet service that is :D

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
If you're line is already setup, cable companies let you pick up the stuff and install it yourself.
That's what I did.
Got it running within 30 min of ordering.
Line is not currently run though. The cable guy is coming on Aug 7 to do the full install. I just have to buy a cable modem before then.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Despite your DSL installation woes, I wish Verizon DSL was offered here because of their LOW rates.

I recently switched to Earthlink DSL for $29.99/mo for the first 6 months then $49.99/mo.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Despite your DSL installation woes, I wish Verizon DSL was offered here because of their LOW rates.

I recently switched to Earthlink DSL for $29.99/mo for the first 6 months then $49.99/mo.
After being a customer of Verizon DSL for two years, I figure they would be willing to keep me as a customer. Instead they told me everything was cancelled and hung up.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001

I'm on the same plan.
I was originally onTime Warner digital cable + internet for 87.99 but they raised it up.

So now i'm on Dish Network + Earthlink ( timewarner ) for 29.99 for 6 month then 41.95 ?

I'm gonna prolly cancel Earthlink after the 6 monthand hopefully resign up :D

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

I'm on the same plan.
I was originally onTime Warner digital cable + internet for 87.99 but they raised it up.

So now i'm on Dish Network + Earthlink ( timewarner ) for 29.99 for 6 month then 41.95 ?

I would first carefully read your terms and conditions. I know that I am tied to a 12 month committment which is fine with me, maybe that's because I received the free DSL modem. Also I ordered through Dell and received a $75 rebate that could be a factor as well.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
- Called Verizon DSL to switch to the 1500/128 plan for less money. After 6 WEEKS of talking to 8-10 different CSRs, each with a completely bullsh1t story about why it was taking so long, they finally told me my line wasn't eligible. This was AFTER I had confirmed with 3 people that my line WAS eligible AND they were going to send out a tech (who never showed up).

- My friend's DSL was shut down abruptly two weeks ago. WHen he called, the first few times they said his account didn't exist. Finally he got a CSR who realized that the account was just corrupted and crashing the system, but did exist. Finally got his DSL back.

FWIW, Verizon hires people with the bare minimum IQ to be accepted into the work force, are given minimal training, and is outsourced to boot. Unfortunately since telcos own the lines you don't have much choice in switching.

brentman

Dec 4, 2002
I have VOL for DSL also. I moved to another apartment and gave them about 2-3 weeks notice, set the date I wished to have my phone/dsl switch over. I moved, plugged in, and everything worked flawlessly. Then a month later my DSL went down, I call tech and when they couldnt help me I got bounced around until they figured out that my move order was submitted again but in reverse. So my DSL was uninstalled in new apartment and reinstalled at old place. I spout the good old Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and I get the retention department. 4 months free service and I had to wait 3 weeks for service cuz I had to place a brand new line order cuz my stuff got cancelled.

All in all it was ok, I hate how they block port 80 and the 128kbps upload cap. Oh well.

Night201

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
"<FONT face=Verdana size=1>Verizon Online you suck" - Welcome to 4 years ago.</FONT>

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac
-
FWIW, Verizon hires people with the bare minimum IQ to be accepted into the work force, are given minimal training, and is outsourced to boot. Unfortunately since telcos own the lines you don't have much choice in switching.

Such is a monopoly... competition? From who... Cablevision??? Yet ANOTHER monopoly?
I deal with Verizon customer service reps on a regular basis in RatShack (a third party retailer for VZW). And I have a lot of customers that run screaming and in tears from the VZW kiosks and stores because their salespeople suck that bad too.

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Verizon is fighting the RIAA though... so if they win you could download till your heart is content on there.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001

I'm on the same plan.

I would first carefully read your terms and conditions. I know that I am tied to a 12 month committment which is fine with me, maybe that's because I received the free DSL modem. Also I ordered through Dell and received a $75 rebate that could be a factor as well.

There is a 1 year commitment for DSL through Earthlink.
Cable doesn't have any contracts, that's what seperates the two and a lot of cable companies even emphasize that. :)

I was gonna sign up with Dell when I cancelled and ordered again

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
My Verizon DSL has been good so far.... took 3 days to activate and install and no problems other than the occational outage (maybe 1 time a week for 5 mins)....

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
Verizon is fighting the RIAA though... so if they win you could download till your heart is content on there.
Not too worried about that.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Any changes to your connection usually suck. This includes installs. But once the service is there and running... mmm it is good.