Verizon FIOs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
What about UWB?

How can copper surpass fiber?

Well of course it can't (once they have the fiber to the home the hard part is done, upgrades will be easier), but the tech to deliver 100 meg services over HFC networks is coming. I haven't kept up with what UWB is doing however, I thought that was a wireless technology?

but current HFC networks can surpass verizons current offerings, it's the techonlogy on the edge (and really that's the only difference) that differienciates it. Thankfully with them gunning after each other only the consumer can win.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: eos
On copper lines? :Q

Yes. Just like the technology to deliver PONs, the tech for cable is being developed/standardized.

It's shaping up to be one big showdown between telcos and cable.

I'm sure they will find a way to charge more regardless of competition. :thumbsdown:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'm sure they will find a way to charge more regardless of competition. :thumbsdown:

I don't think so. Look at the prices for what is being delievered today. It's that competition that will drive prices. If your provider doesn't offer the service you want then just switch. The telcos ARE going to provide everything cable offers. They realized that when cable started stealing their phone customers.

The big move now is 'triple play' - voice, video (tv, on demand, HD) and data. I just think the next 5-6 years are going to see a ton of deployment/shake up.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: spidey07

I don't think so. Look at the prices for what is being delievered today. It's that competition that will drive prices. If your provider doesn't offer the service you want then just switch. The telcos ARE going to provide everything cable offers. They realized that when cable started stealing their phone customers.

The big move now is 'triple play' - voice, video (tv, on demand, HD) and data. I just think the next 5-6 years are going to see a ton of deployment/shake up.

I hope you're right... but w/o any fiber to my house, comcast has a monopoly on me. DSL sucks here, and well... we'd need an antena that sticks up 25ft or more to pick up local broadcast :(

yeah, we could just not watch tv whatsoever, but comcast internet plus basic basic cable is the same as comcast internet non-subscriber. That and not watching tv at all really would suck :)

JasonK

Jan 24, 2000
For Californians, FiOS is about to get its next boost in deployment. Current legislation bill is at Arnold for final approval. Once through, the tv franchise market gets a giant green light.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
i just got FIOS. the best part is, even if you dont plan on switching, you can count on your cable company either raising the speeds, dropping the price, or both, once FIOS comes in and gives competition to cable.

I just signed up for FIOS as soon as I saw it was available in Plano, TX. Within a week, I had Time Warner calling me, telling me that since I was such a valued customer (4-5 year customer, paying $58/month), that they were going to drop my rates to $29.99, and raise the download speeds to 6mbit (was 4mbit before). Not only that, but later that day, a TW rep came by the house to offer me the same deal. I guess alot of people in my neighborhood are switching to FIOS, and they have been driving around the neighborhood looking to see which houses have become prepped for FIOS installation.

I had the 15/2 for $45 package installed a few days ago, and the speeds are great. No outages as of yet, so I have not needed to call Verizon to see how their customer service/repairs are.

Once the cable companies and verizon get in full swing competition with each other, we will see the $45 FIOS package go from 15/2 >> 20/5 (this is already the case in NY/NJ...check dslreports.com and look at the speed reports for verizon.net domainds and you will see)